• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what performs better: slk-800 or slk-800u

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

login211

if you were using the same fan, which would keep your diode temp lower, the slk-800 or the slk-800u?

i keep hearing that they're the same except for the fact that the 800 is the clipon version and the 800u is the bolton version but they don't even look the same so i'm wondering if one out performs the other.

btw i'll be using it on an a7n8x standard rev1.04

thanks

slk-800
svcompucycle_1744_3604905

slk-800u
svcompucycle_1745_11299333

Performance wise, no there is not really any difference. If the computer is going to be moved around a bit, i'd prefer to have a heatsink that size bolted on for stability reasons. You would most likely not see any difference in diode temperature between the versions.

Oh yeah -

Welcome to the forums!

The SLK800-U is basically a carbon copy of the original SLK800-A, with some very distinct design advantages. Besides being able to mount a 60, 70 or 80mm fan of your choosing, the SLK800-U mounts directly to your motherboard via the four standard mounting holes. As a result it will work with not only AMD Socket A but also Intel Socket 478 motherboards.

well if they are relatively the same i think i'll go with the slk-800 since it would fit better on my mb and in my case, i hate that the slk-800u would be at a 90 degree angle compared to the slk-800

thanks for the info :D

login211 said:
well if they are relatively the same i think i'll go with the slk-800 since it would fit better on my mb and in my case, i hate that the slk-800u would be at a 90 degree angle compared to the slk-800

:confused: Why wouldn't the 800 be on a 90* angle? They both sit the same just one bolts on one clips on :-/

IMHO if you are running amd get just the slk800 it is SUCH a pain in the *** to take out your motherboard whenever you need to switch heatsinks for whatever reason.... that is why i HATED my alpha and had to switch to thermalright AX7 a while back (now i use the slk800)

If it was me, I'd get the slk-800U. I have the slk-900U and it was easy to install. I wouldn't trust myself to not chip a core, even putting on a stock heatsink If I left the motherboard in my case.

login211 said:

asus decided to move the holes so the bolt on sits perpendicular to the clipon ...

well i ordered the slk-800 from bigfootcomputers.com, hopefully it'll be here by friday

my volcano9 is crappying out on me, it did pretty good keeping me down at 46C @1.8+V but summer is here and my temps are increasing...

thanks for the input

Emericana said:
IMHO if you are running amd get just the slk800 it is SUCH a pain in the *** to take out your motherboard whenever you need to switch heatsinks for whatever reason.... that is why i HATED my alpha and had to switch to thermalright AX7 a while back (now i use the slk800)

/agreed!

While it's great and dandy if you want the extra stability(ie a lan box) I prefer something that allows me to get in and take it off quickly incase I want to adjust or mess with it. Pain in the butt with the U.

let's just say for some reason it takes ya 3 tries to get the HS properly seated and greased. Could you imagine the pain it would be to pull MB out and then rehook up 3xs???

Ps. Just ordered my SLK 800(A), in transit currently.
:D

my slk800-a comes off like a hot knife through butter. All i use is my fingers on the clip. You wouldnt belive how much easier it is than using a screw driver. Also, there's a much lower risk of damaging the board with your hands than with a screw-driver.

Back