• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaxiKana

Ive got an Antec truepower 550W psu, and im thinking of replacing the fans inside the PSU, ive got a few questions on how to do it

1st: how much CFM should the fans have?

2nd: how hard is it to replace the fans?

I did it on an Antec 400W, and:
1.-Not very; if you replace both fans, I think that the lower CFM, the less noise, at no risk. I tried keeping only one fan (the exaust one) and it is sufficient, even though it's very low CFM imo.
2.-Easy :) There is a two pin connector for the fans on the inside, so I had to connect the new fans outside the psu, but it's no big deal...

wow thanks! that guide is greate! do you guys have any fan ideas? im thinking about two of these: Papst 8412 N/2GML 80 x 80 x 25 mm, 19 dB 26,50 CFM or two of these: Papst 8412 N/2GL 80 x 80 x 25 mm, 12 dB 19,4 CFM

lol, you won't need another exhaust fan after that...

one of the things that i did with my psu was to replace the 80 mm exhaust with one of the blue coolermaster led fans. i placed this fan on to a bay bus, so i could turn it down for the night, and turn it up for gaming and what not. it looks really nice, and is relatively quiet when turned down. i left the 92 mm alone, it was quiet enough, undervolted as it was.

Back