• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashmenu ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

selahrecords

Registered
I just download the new Bios and run flashmenu and select the new Bios from where i downloaded it and select the clear cmos box...anything else? first time flashing bios a little nervous :)

Well I'm happy that it worked for you but in all honesty I would still advice people to do it via the floppy & a pure DOS environment, safer is always better.

max0mus - Remove the link in your sig, your current member status does not allow you to link outside of the forums.

it's not evne hard

format disk, copy files...reboot

a:/runme

enter
enter
enter
wait...wait...wait

new bios

reboot
reset settings
reboot
bam

Sonny said:
Well I'm happy that it worked for you but in all honesty I would still advice people to do it via the floppy & a pure DOS environment, safer is always better.

max0mus - Remove the link in your sig, your current member status does not allow you to link outside of the forums.

My bad,

Looks like it's removed by one of youse :).

Floppy drive is okay but you'd think in this day and age that we'd be rid of the blasted thing. They are miniscule in storage and don't work very well. Slow. What else. I must digress.

I agree safer is better but flashing in Windows can be just as safe if done right IMO.

I love floppy disks for this sort of application

you expect me to waste 50 cents on a CD to flash my bios?

or buy a $5 cd so i can flash my bios every year?

max0mus said:
Floppy drive is okay but you'd think in this day and age that we'd be rid of the blasted thing. They are miniscule in storage and don't work very well. Slow. What else. I must digress.

Yeah, I agree that they are alreaady out of date considering what we have now available for storage but they are still in demand for a lot of hardware devices. You can't setup RAID or SCSI without them & flashing firmware or BIOS' will always require a floppy. Even M$ won't let it go, when you set up a RAID system during install your going to need to load the drivers via the floppy & the install process will not allow anything else.

To get away from it would be to convince M$ & all the mass storage controller makers to abandon it.

I don't know why some people hate floppies so much. I've always found them quite useful for small tasks like flashing or booting DOS based utilities. I aways put one in every box I build.

well the reason i like it so much, is that being new to it, it didn't leave any room for mistakes...such as grabbing the wrong bios with the live update feature it will automatically show you the correct bios' and install them for you. I found the process to be EXTREMELY easy and relatively painless. I would recommend it for anyone who isn't quite sure what to do...from what i've read i've seen very very few people who have had bad experiences with flashmenu...

selahrecords said:
well the reason i like it so much, is that being new to it, it didn't leave any room for mistakes...such as grabbing the wrong bios with the live update feature it will automatically show you the correct bios' and install them for you. I found the process to be EXTREMELY easy and relatively painless. I would recommend it for anyone who isn't quite sure what to do...from what i've read i've seen very very few people who have had bad experiences with flashmenu...

Yea, I think I'm going to like it as well. I remember ******* up one of my mobos because the damn bios file was corrupt or the floppy had a bad sector or something and it stopped in the middle of the flash. Couldn't do anything but turn off the comp because nothing responded. :(

Last edited:
I always format my floppies in 98 so I can see if any bad sectors are there. If so, that floppy goes in the trash. Having a spare CMOS that's already flashed in failsafe mode is a great insurance policy.

Back