• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock Fan /w AC3 Hitting 50C?? Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stonehhh5

Registered
Everything is on default, im running a 2500+ and the temps are going up to 50°C. This PC restarted on me twice when playing games, what could be the problem? i was using the thermal compound that came with the heatsink and it restarted on me 2 times. so i just wiped off the thermal gook and added Artic silver 3 on it. i just turned on Prime 95 for like 2 minutes and the temp rose to 46° already. I Currently Stopped it. Any Advice to get better cooling? BTW the case is opened right now and its about 80°F in NYC right now.suggestions?:mad: :mad:

Welcome to the forums!!

First, tell us what system/motherboard are you running and what applications are you using to monitor the temperatures. There have been various issues with motherboards not reading the temperatures accurately.

50c Is a bit high but my PC runs stable @ 61C :p bah foolish stock heatsink and fan

I did an article on this issue a while ago. The stock AMD fan will make the temperatures hover in the mid 50's, the only thing you can do is just well...Get a better heatsink.

Where in Brooklyn are you?

Anyway you can always buy the AX-7 for $18 from SVC and that will solve your problems.

Posting your system specs would be helpful; but the stock AMD HSF is kind of a piece of junk. My temps w/ an XP2200a running at stock (1.8) would hit 47c at load.

AS3 is good stuff. If you've seated the HS properly you might even see your temps drop a bit over a few days. Comp should not be rebooting with a temp of 50, though.

Here's a link on how to apply AS3, btw.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Tough to tell from the pics but it does look like the layer of AS3 on these cores is *way* too thick though. Don't go too nuts w/it. Just make it even.

Alcohol and q-tips for cleanup if you have to reapply.

those temps are well within the bartons heat limit... that is probably not your reason for the reboots.. 50 degrees is a normal adequete temperature for a processor, no need for a new heatsink.. its probably a setting or two in ur bios.

ok heres my specs...

2500+
512 PC2700 Kingston Value Ram (Nanya Chips)
ATI 9500Non Pro (Soft modded)
EPOX 8RDA+

whats the problem with the resets? it seems to happen during gaming. i did a memtest and it doesnt seem like the memory, so i dont know wat the problem is.

hmmm... my power supply came into mind all of a sudden, since im building this pc for someone, i just bought a generic 300WATT tat came with the case.... could that be it? i know ATI 9500s dont like weak PSUs... could be it, could it?

Since you're having trouble while gaming, i'd say it has to do with the vid card. Either thats getting too hot, or there's not enough juice. I'd say probabally the latter since 300w is kinda small for that setup. What are your voltages at under load?

Back