• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a GPU cooler really worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeta09

Registered
Well,

I am back to bother ya'll once again. This time I am asking you gurus' opinions on the GPU coolers that are out there. I have a gForce 4 Ti 4400 and a Radeon 9700 Pro in my two main boxes. I have the innovatek GPUs and a Swifty MCW50. Since I have them I'll use them but I don't OC the Radeon (shoot, don't know if it is really worth it on that one). Considering it will add to the work of the pump used.

But is there a very distinct difference in water vs. air cooling from the real world exp of your rigs? What do you all think?

If you are not going to OC the cards...its really a waste to add cooling if the stock cooling is stable...IMO...

How would it add work on the pump if you overclock the Radeon? GPU waterblocks are mainly used if you are overclocking/voltmodding or if you get tired of the hearing the fan.

More work?

Well,

By adding one more component to the circut. I do wonder if the affect would be negligable but theoretically I would think the head would be affected since there is one more part above the pump to push the flow of water to.

Also I am sure it would actually raise the temp of the water as well since there another chip transferring heat to the circut. I have a Innovatek single fan rad that will be used in the new rig. It was alright. My temps went down from 42C load avg. to 36C load avg (ambient temp was usually around 22-23C). I had a 1046 but with the 1048 I wonder what I'll see. I am going to have the Swifty blocks instead though and I did not WC the GPU in the first rig. So I am curious on what the affects will be and whether or not I notice a noise difference.

That is what I meant though but please correct me if I am wrong I am definitely learning about this and enjoying the process. . .

It is definetly worth it. For one if you are planning on overclocking the FSB of the system you will need to cool the GPU and the video card RAM. It is very quick and easy to add cooling so it is worth it. I would get the best little GPU/northbridge cooler you can and get some nice RAM cooling. You will then be able to overclock the video card and the rest of the system freely.

Thank You,
Daniel

Well it's been a while since I have added to this post but I did want to know now which of the GPUs do you all feel is a better cooler.

I have read that you want more turns in the GPU cooler and in other articles I have read you don't. I have a Innovatek GPU already (thinking I was going to use it first) but I used the Swifty GPU on my Gainward GeForce 4. Some reviews and posts on other forums herald Danger Den's GPU but knock it's barb system.

Since I have the Innovatek GPU block for the Radeon I'll use it but do you all think there is a "best" GPU cooler?

Back