• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA mobo dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DepthwD

Registered
sys=(profile + os=win98 PSU=Raidmaxx

Notes:
proc tempsnever exceeded 38c
mobo temps never exceeded 30c

recently got my systyem running and it was stable at low temps 25-27c (report from Aida/bios all readout will be from Aida/Bios) No OC. checked for stability all clear (no max loading was implemented).
OC1= 11x167=1837 (no volttage change)
outcome= success+ stable
OC2= 11x175=1925 (no volttage change)
outcome= success+ unstable
OC3= 11.5x174=2001 (volttage 1 up from stock(no idea what V))
outcome= success+ stable
OC's 4-8= 11.5x175-184=2012.5-2116 (no voltage from last up)
outcomes= successes+ all stable
OC's 9/10= 12x187=2244 12x189=2268 (1 up from last)
outcomes= success + stable
OC 11= 12x190=2280 (no voltage change from last)
outcomes= success + Unstable (might have been win98 (the istall of 98 was kinda crappy but i didnt have another disk))
OC 12= 11.5x160=1840 (bumped down to stock voltage)
outcome= success+stable
(played starcraft by blizzard entertainment somewere in the OC's)
((shut down at 3:30AM))
Reboot at 12:30ish(back from dental office)
Reboot gave no vid input.
Cmos reset= unsuccessful boot
Reseating all hardware but proc= unsuccessful boot
check vid in other sys= vid not dead
checked proc in other sys= proc not dead
checked other sys proc in 8rda= unsuccess boot
Monitor= working

The full symptom is= No vid input, the HDD didnt sound like a windows boot.

My ? is:
is my mobo dead?
Do you require more info?
and if not what do u suggest is wrong

More note:
MY room temp was less then 70F (no idea how to convert f to c)
Desktop running to test
Mobo box 4 protection overnight

Please help me diagnose my problem, if this is in the wrong forum sorry new to OC-forums. Any help would be greatly appricated. sorry if this exact problem has been posted but i couldnt find it with search. (sorry mods posted twice one in the 8RDA sticky).

Ya know my 8rda+ quit working today too. It was running fine, then the Fedex guy showed up with a new cpu, I put it in and bam! No video. Occasionally it gives me an FF code, but usually it just gives me _F ( where _ is nothing). I'm going to put the cpu in a different computer, but I think my 8rda+ died on me too.

The post code says FF but how the heck could it just die under the conditions i put it under

AC Slater said:
Ya know my 8rda+ quit working today too. It was running fine, then the Fedex guy showed up with a new cpu, I put it in and bam! No video. Occasionally it gives me an FF code, but usually it just gives me _F ( where _ is nothing). I'm going to put the cpu in a different computer, but I think my 8rda+ died on me too.

First thing to do is check your heatsink and make sure it is seated correctly...also check your MB plug in and make sure you have no fired pins...if both are good to go, then definetly try the new CPU in another board...if it is good to go, then put the old one back in the 8RDA+ and see if it will boot up...if not then you might of gotten a corrupt BIOS...

DepthwD said:
The post code says FF but how the heck could it just die under the conditions i put it under

Simple...called a corrupt BIOS...did you have the latest BIOS installed?

Also, check out the MB plug in and also the PSU MB Plug in to make sure nothing was fried...

i have the bios the thing came with... 1-29-03 date i think not possitive but it was in jan 03

that was the worst BIOS out...99.9% sure you have a corrupt BIOS...best thing to do is write to Epox and get a replacement BIOS to hot flash that one...or if you can...RMA it...but hot flashing would be cheaper in the long run...the last time I had to get a BIOS chip from Epox..it was only 10.00 with shipping...

what bios chip should I request, if it is possible to request a bios chip from amd?

And shouldn't the chip and shipping be free because of warrenty??

You have to request it from Epox, not AMD...AMD is the CPU...Epox is the MB maker...so you will have to write to Epox

Just tell them you need a replacement BIOS for the 8RDA+...and no...its not because it was caused from OCing...leaving it stock wont corrupt the BIOS...

its not an 8RDA+ its an 8RDA not possitive what the differnce is but im sure theres one and thanks for the info

ok, thank you for your enourmose help maybie next time i should check the Bios Ver. not used to that... must do. if i receive another 1.29.03 chip what bios should i flash too.

Well I'm pretty sure it's my motherboard then. I put in my backup 8rda+ refurb I got a few weeks ago and it booted up just fine.

AC Slater said:
Well I'm pretty sure it's my motherboard then. I put in my backup 8rda+ refurb I got a few weeks ago and it booted up just fine.

You might have a corrupt BIOS also...since you have 2 8RDA+'s, you can try to hot flash the BIOS of the dead one with the BIOS chip from the good one to see if that works...

I'm seriously considering a BIOS Saviour. I'm reading about too many of these problems. :(

The latest BIOS's have pretty much solved a lot of the problems...but its always wise to have a BIOS Saviour or extra BIOS chip around for any newer MB now...no matter what maker or type...especially if you are trying for the extreme OC's

o i remembered the voltages on the Vcore 1.5, 1.57, and 1.6 were used. (oddly low i might add but the el putara was stable)

didnt mess with the ram voltages the ram was going to be OCed a little the next day.

Back