• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soyo k7v dragon plus Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legend911

I have a soyo dragon plus and and AMD xp 1700 tbred B processor that i purchased off of a member of overclockers.com. I plan to buy corsair XMS 3200 c2 ram. how easy would it be to overclock on this particular board. I only plan to use it as my server computer but I wanted to up the power so that I could get better folding power for team 32. I have heard of people being able to get 2.2ghz+ with this particular processor. I just bought an antec server case just like the one here.
www.angelfire.com/md/dwight

I was wondering if this would provide enough cooling and power to get those speeds if I use a forton 420 watt power supply. Suggestion are acceptable Thank You!:D

2 things come to mind right away. Even with the new bios upgrades the Dragon+ has hit and miss issues on wether or not it will accept the Tbred B chips, I had so much trouble with this I went and bought a KT400 Dragon Ultra after I could not get my 2100 B to work in my Dragon+.

The other thing is the DDR3500. The max supported is the DDR2100 (soyo site) so again this may or may not work well together.

I had a good experiance overclocking my Dragon+ up untill I tried the Tbred B chip, so I would recommend it with the advice I mentioned. The palimino I had in my board didi fairly well and was quite happy with it.

So hope it helps and good luck.

Installed

I have put the Tbred B chip in the motherboard rigth now but I am transferring files out of my hard drive to my asus computer so that i can format the drive. My asus computer as you see has a TBred A chip. So if my chip does not work properly with the tbred B chip would the TBred A work ok?
Also i have a Samsung 512mb PC2100 installed in the soyo board right now too so no problems with that.:D

I think the bigest problem with the Dragon+ and the Tbred B's seems to be the differance in voltage. The palimino's it was made for have the core voltage of 1.75v and the Tbred B's are 1.65v I don't know what the Tbred a's is.
Someone around here suggested that if you have access to a palimino you should boot into the bios with the pally and set the core voltage to the 1.65v, boot down replace the pally with the Tbred B and see if it boots up.

Tbred

my tbred A runs at 1.55volts so the tbred b is supposed to be 1.65volts. somebody posted to me that they have tbred B working fine in their system but they weren't able to overclock though. I will tell you tommorrow if I was able to boot successfully or not.:D :D

FTP Server built

Ok i have installed and put windows 2003 server on the computer. I am using the XP1700 TBred B and it defaulted to 1.6volts which means that something is wrong with yours if it is defaulting to 1.75 you should look through your bios too see what is doing that. I don't know exactly how to overclock this computer at the moment. I only have pc2100 samsung ram in there running at 2.5,3,6,3 so I am just going to keep it there till I think I should try otherwise.:D :D

Like I said above, I decided to go ahead and upgrade and put the Tbred B chip in a KT400 Dragon ultra instead of messing with the Dragon+. That was in Late Feb early Mar. I still have the Dragon + board and the XP1800 Pally laying around unused.

Anyone have experiences with the 1900+ and the K7 Dragon plus?
Want to overclock it once i get my 3200+ up and running...

I have a Palomino 2000+ (locked) running stable at an FSB of 145. I'm curious as to whether the latest bios (2ba8) may actually work for the tbreds.

New bios

I was going to start a new thread for this question, but this one is already on the subject. I have a Palomino 1700 that is unlocked using the wire in 2 holes method. The fastest I've been able to go stable is 12X at 140 (1680 Mhz). Since the Thoroughbreds are now relatively cheap, is there any speed gain or other gain to be had if I purchased a Thoroughbred 1700 CPU?

XP Types

Traditionally with the all the test overclockers have done on these chips it seems that the palomino's go to 1800mhz and the throughbred B to 2400mhz+. I have both chips and I put my thoroughbred A to 1750mhz and my thoroughbred B to 2.1mhz but put it back to default for now since my house is too hot and i pay enough for electric. The palomino has tested around the thoroughbred A speeds but if you want more speed you will need a Thoroughbred B processor which is hard to find unless one of the members has one for sale.:D

quality ram should be backward compatible so no problem there,
but some chipsets dont like some ram and vice versa.thorobreds
heat up fast at higher multis so lower multis and higher fsbs are best but,soyo is my backup rig 150fsb is pushing it and it doesnt
.like the 2.9 v my ram likes. also synchronous cpu and ram gets much better bandwidth and performance, ie 133/133 versus 133/166

Back