• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plcaeing psu outside case? better cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metalthrashingm

Registered
placeing psu outside case? better cooling? if i place the psu outside case say like on top and run wires in will my cooling be better?

Chances are no. Its as the top of your case, and if you have half way decent air flow, the heat never reaches the cpu area of the case. Plus I would not want to have a PSU not being screwed onto something, b/c you need a ground just for safety's sake. Also thats a lot of wires you'll need to be extending. It just isn't worth the hassle.

just in my antec mid tower the psu is almost on my cpu hsf i have to even take psu out to replace hsf

Well then it might help. Not b/c its heat is now outside the case, but b/c your opening up an area for the heat to get out. Making a blow hole at the top of your case will probably get you the same results, if not better ones.

lol acording to speed fan my cpu is at 77 c any bit will help.but ive heard the sensers on the a7n8x suck lol

metalthrashingm said:
lol acording to speed fan my cpu is at 77 c any bit will help.but ive heard the sensers on the a7n8x suck lol

Damn that’s hot!.

You definitely need to do something about your cooling. Whats your setup right now?

Are you sure that’s right?? That is 170.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Your CPU will not live that long with those temps :mad:

metalthrashingm said:

Say good bye to Mr. Processor. :D

But, seriously, you might want to get some AS3 and reseat your HSF.

metalthrashingm said:

That's no laughing matter. Get yourself some cooling quick! Check your BIOS temps, because that sounds wayy to high. Are you sure you don't need to calibrate the settings?

lol cpus are so cheap now it blows it blows lol btw its a amd xp [email protected] a folding fool lol i cant lose my place lol plus i realy dont think them temps are corect i have a laped volcao 7+ at 6500 rpm asus probe says its 60c i know thats still to hot.

metalthrashingm said:
lol cpus are so cheap now it blows it blows lol btw its a amd xp [email protected] a folding fool lol i cant lose my place lol plus i realy dont think them temps are corect i have a laped volcao 7+ at 6500 rpm asus probe says its 60c i know thats still to hot.

Well unless you want to waste money you need to reseat your heatsink and preferably get some artic silver 3

The only time I have ever seen temps that high was on my older system when the cpu fan failed.

its reseated many times its on there fine i am 100% sure.like i said im sure that temp reading is a error asus is not known to be to relable in that dept a cpu runing at 77 f will ualy be unstable as hell and reboot .but i fold 24/7 with a beta protien and i never crash.but ty for the addvice ive seen many people put hsf,s on wrong .i have even seen em put on backwards lol

guys did you look At the heatsink he has then look @ his OC!! it IS seated properly he IS LUCKY hes getting those temps. get a different heatsink that HSF is NO good for that kind of oc and Ghz, get a better one. 60C is still to high.

yeah i know this hsf sucks lolbut i have no credit card so i cant buy stuff online.sucks to be me.i lowered my oc however to 11x200 can run this at 1.6 volts.but still way to hot.so in reality i can only buy. hsfs localy and lol there lucky to have a volcano 2 ,

man id love to be able to do that.id get me some kick *** ram to lol around here there thinking they impress ya with ddr 2100.saying its the newset best thing out lol

i dont mind at all but dont judge me lol i just live here cause it is cheap its lagrange ga. its south of atl ga. atl aint to bad though

metalthrashingm said:
just in my antec mid tower the psu is almost on my cpu hsf i have to even take psu out to replace hsf

On top how?
ontop.gif

If you mean on top like 'B' this then it could be that not enought air is getting to the fan. If you upgrade the cooling, then the sink will probabally be taller and the fan might not even fit.

Back