• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Heatpipe vs Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hurk

I was wondering if a heatpipe is better than a fan or vise versa. How does a heatpipe actually work? In Layman's Terms

A Heatpipe Transfers heat from the source to another location. Can't get any simplier then that.

Both ideas have their good and bad points. The only gpu heatpipe on the market that has had success is the zalman series. What most people get is attainable with good air cooling though.

I would like to think a good 1U copper cooler would be better then a heatpipe solution.

SemiCycle said:
A Heatpipe Transfers heat from the source to another location. Can't get any simplier then that.

Both ideas have their good and bad points. The only gpu heatpipe on the market that has had success is the zalman series. What most people get is attainable with good air cooling though.

I would like to think a good 1U copper cooler would be better then a heatpipe solution.

What is a 1U copper solution?

EWW Thermaltake. Much better example here :

http://www.overclockers.com/articles712/

dyn2.jpg

The heat pipe design are normally aimed toward getting a quiet computer. Many of Zalmans designs incorporate this and are generally not aimed for the overclocker. But if you want a silent computer the Zalman line would be a good solution for you.

Is a 1u heatink + fan that noisey? I'm also looking to build a pretty quiet PC. I have a GF4 Ti4600 with a zalman heatpipe on it at the moment. I will be looking at a FX 5900 in the near future.

Should i replace its heatink with a 1u server one? How would it stay on the board?

It is very simple the concept. The closer you get to the CPU the warmer the heatsink is going to be. This is because of two reasons. One there is little air passing by from the fan. And two because the metal you are using for the heatsink conducts heat slower than the fan can take it away it cause a temp. curve. So with heat pipe technology it brings the heat of the CPU away from the bottom, well a good deal of the heat, and takes it to the top where the fan can readily cool it. So heatpipe technology takes advantage of every bit of cooling power your fan and heatsink has. To conduct the heat they usually use a liquid.

Thank you,
Daniel

dstanley said:
Is a 1u heatink + fan that noisey? I'm also looking to build a pretty quiet PC. I have a GF4 Ti4600 with a zalman heatpipe on it at the moment. I will be looking at a FX 5900 in the near future.

Should i replace its heatink with a 1u server one? How would it stay on the board?

hehehe thanks to nvidia if you want to take off the main heatsink you have to take off the ramsinsks :D and you will definitely have to buy new ones to replace them (Damn that ddrII :p)

But unless you overclock it should be all right because reports say tghe 5900 is NOT loud (unlike its dustbuster brother the 5800) :)

Back