• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spontaneous reboots?!? A7N8X Deluxe 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agrall

Registered
Hey folks,

Relatively recently I did a rebuild based on this motherboard, a Barton 2500+, a Radeon 9700, 1 512 MB PC2700 Samsung, 1 512 MB PC2700 Corsair, a Tekram SCSI card (to run an old scanner), and so on...

For some reason, I have been having spontaneous reboots. The computer is running along just fine, either idle or with me doing something, and it will reboot.

Any reasons? I thought it might be the memory, but I have tried running both in single channel mode and dual channel mode, and it still does it... Could one stick be bad? Should I try running with just one for a while?

Another little thing is that a pin on my processor was bent when I got it. I had to bend it back with a tweezers in order to get it to go into the socket... But I don't think that should really cause any of this,do you?

Any advice is appreciated!

What kind of Operating system do you have?

I had the same problem with rpontaneous reboots in WinXP-pro finally i reformatted my harddrive and repartitioned with win98se AND XP pro on different partitions. It ended up that with a clean install of XP pro it didn't recognize my scanner as being XP approved, i took that out of the program and it is working fine now, no more reboots.

The only thing is that during the 98se install i couldn't ( and still can't) install my Nvidia sound drivers into it, so 98se doesn't have sound.

Check your hardware compatibility.

M

It's a brand new power supply... Antec True460... So, I'd be very surprised if it's the power supply. Temps... I'm not overclocking... The Asus utility tells me that right now the CPU temp is 40 deg, and the MB temp is 25 deg.

agrall: what is the multiplier x fsb u running now ?
the reason for the rebooting is on XP there is an option under Advanced of Startup and Recovery, if you check this option for Reboot when error occurred.
That is what you facing. Cannot tell you much since I dont know what ram/cpu setting now.

Usually the power supply, memory, or bad driver (in win xp/2k) is to blame for random reboots. Try updating all your drivers, and then downloading the newest drivers, then downloading memtest and testing your memory overnight.

if it's not the psu it's a memory problem

run docmem2 to find out if something is wrong with the memory

run memtest86 to find out if the board 'dislikes' the memory

I ran memtest86 last night and it came up with several errors at 176.6 MB. Does that mean my error is in the stick in the 1st bank?

if it was me id run memtest with each mem strip in alone by its selfs. then when i find error id try to run test again with a tad more volts like 1.65 volts. but i am pretty sure its yamemeory that is causeing reboot

well atleast now you know what could be causing these problems

check 1 dimm at a time to find out which memroy you have a problem with, check crucial first cause i think that may be your problem even though crucial is good ocing ram

if you find errors in memtest86, it doesn't neccassarily mean you have memory with errors....

It appears it was the corsair, because the samsung alone was fine. Should I try the corsair alone anyhow, or should I see if newegg is still willing to trade the corsair?

Have you updated the bios to the latest version (1005)? Asus fixed some memory compatibility problems with the later bios releases. I know there was a problem intrepreting the SPD signal on certain Corsair modules.

well if you really want corsair then test it out and if there are problems get it exchanged for some corsair that does work, i know there was some 'version' of corsair that was giving a7n8x users trouble and corsair even put that info on their site....

if you don't care whether it's corsair or samsung, trade the 'bad' corsair for samsung, samsung ram overclocks nicely and it loves the juice, i've got my samsung pc2700 cl2.5 running at 200/400mhz at 7-3-3-2.5T at 2.7V

Ok... Newegg says they will exchange it.

Should I get another stick of Samsung since that seems okay? If I want dual channel, do I have to get exactly the same, or could I get some faster (3200, 3500) samsung and still be good?

whatever 2 sticks you want to use should be the same, ocing will be easier this way

if you plan on only reaching 200fsb then the 3200 is what you want, if you want to push everything to it's limits go for the 3500

i say go for the 3200 since reaching 200fsb can be hard enough

Back