• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob OC help question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dksr

i have a kt4 ultra and a amd 1800+ t-bred. i haven't physically unlocked the chip myself, as i thought chips coming from newegg had already been unlocked someway.

anyway, when i try to OC in the bios i am represented with different voltages, multipliers and clock speeds - so i figure i can OC, but it wont work. it will either not post or it will register incorrectly in winXP (the frequency will be 733mhz instead of rated at a 2000+).

so i'm wondering do i need to unlock the chip or get a new mobo?

i am using the stock fan for now(i know that's stupid) but i have a vantec aeroflow on the way.

again sorry for the noobishness but i cant get the HSF off the chip because its on their so fricking tight now... dont want to do it if i dont have to.

use default setings first also since i dont know the multi on a 1800+ im guessing that when it posts at 733 ur multiplyer is at 5.5 set it to default or auto. get it to post first before u oc it.
quickest way is use failsafe defaults. then just check fsb is 133 (might be 100 on fail safe.)
also if not been said welcome to the forums!

edit: is it a t-bead or a pally

[color=ff9000]Welcome To The Forums!!![/color]

Try bumping up the fsb first. That should give you some overclock. You probably won't get the FSB high enough to need to use the multi, because you are using stock cooling. Also, make sure you are using as few volts as possible, because it will keep your cpu cooler. Run a stability test like Prime95 to make sure everthing is stable.

thanks ill give that a try funk.

aftermath, yes, its a t-bred B.

Back