• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH7 or IS7-E with 2.4B?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GRexer

Hi guys, i'm getting a P4 2.4B for a friend this weekend and i've been thinking whether to choose between the 2 boards BH7 or IS7-E. Their pricing is quite similar and i've been thinking that would pairing a 533MHz processor with a 865P chipset be good? I've heard some ppl not being able to reach over 166MHz with this kind of combinations.

I'm probably be overclocking the FSB to around 166MHz to make is 3.0GHz, so i would like more input on this. Hope u guys can help out a bit.

BTW, the new 13b BIOS, i think it could be used in the IS7-E as well according to release notes.

Beta BIOS for IS7-G, IS7G_13.B01 (524,288 bytes)

New Fixes/Features
1. Supported IS7-G/IS7/IS7-E mainboard.
2. Updated CPU micro code (CPU: 0F29H, ID=11H).
3. Added CPU multiplier 8X for engineering sample CPU and maximum CPU
frequency 412 MHz.
4. Revised setup menu for on-chip Serial ATA.
5. Fixed on-chip SATA boot issue while another bootable hard drives exist
and attached to IDE-1 or IDE-2.
6. Updated memory reference code and ICH5 BIOS spec to v1.2.
7. Fixed PS/2 mouse malfunctioning problem while the USB cable of Media XP
attached to mainboard.
8. Fixed DOS 6.22 booting failure from FAT16 partition.
9. Fixed BIOS hang-up problem which is caused by specific CPU cooling fan
reporting error RPM to BIOS when CPU FanEQ 60% enabled.
10. Revised the following default settings in BIOS setup page.
- Bootable Add-in Device: PCI Slot Device
- CPU FanEQ Active Temperature: 70 C
- CPU Warning Temperature: 85 C
11. Added 80, 85, and 90 degrees C into "Shutdown Temperature".
12. Enabled "IDE Block Mode" and hided the option.
13. Revised ICH5R RAID BIOS display issue.
14. Revised power-on delay time from 4~5 seconds to 1~2 seconds after AC
power lost and resumed.
15. Added description for "Bootable Add-in Device".

p/s: I'll probably be getting a SL6RZ or SL6EF, MALAY chip mostly since i'm from Malaysia itself ;)

Of those two, I'd go with the IS7-E, no question. The beta BIOS revs are good for IS7-G, IS7 and IS7-E. If you look around (Abit forums) you'll find that there are now three beta BIOS versions available, 13.B01, 13.B03, and 13.B04. I've dl'd them all, but won't be doing any more testing on my IS7-E until this weekend. The only issue I have with it right now is CPU temp being reported about 25c over actual value, 80c idle after 30 min in the BIOS screen. Seems stable though, ran various benches for hours, no probs.

Tedinde, yeah, ;) didn't know u r in here as well.

Hmm.... nodsetse, what's the difference between all 3 BIOSes anywayz? I'm pairing is with a C1 stepping chip, is there any downside of doing so?

GRexer said:
Hmm.... nodsetse, what's the difference between all 3 BIOSes anywayz? I'm pairing is with a C1 stepping chip, is there any downside of doing so?
BIOS differences are listed in the readme files, generally included in the zip files. 01 didn't do much, but it appears they've really done a lot with the memory timings with 03, and I'd think 04 is close to being an actual release. No issues using the board with any stepping northwood, I'm running an early 1.6a @ 2.4GHz, no issues other than the extremely inflated temp reporting.

my

Bh7 i got my 2.4 @ 3.2 stable (pc3200) - love the options! - i say bh7 as i know nothing about the other board

Back