• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godzilla

I have an Asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard. I want to know how i can take advantage of the dual channel memory?

i have 2 sticks of 512mb DDR333 (PC2700)

What colour slots should the 2 sticks be in?

Dual Channel

Those sticks if they are the exact same brand, size, and style should go in slots 1 and 3 which would be the first one and the blue slot. If you want to continue the dual channel with more memory you will have to get the same brand and style but order a 1gig stick of it and place it in slot 2.:D :D

So how do i know which is slot 1, and which is slot 3?

Also, why is 1 of the blue slots isolated away from the other 2 slots??

and is there a program that can tell me if its in dual channel mode?

Last edited:
Slot 1 is closest to the cpu, #3 is farthest away. Running in dual mode won't get you much more in the way of performance because the bus can't handle anymore data. It can also reduce your overclock.

put your memory sticks far away from each other... when you post, it should say "dual channel memory enabled" - that's how you know you did it right

put your memory in the blue slots, slot 2 and slot3, during the post it'll say single/dual channel mode

slot1 and slot2 are one channel, slot3 is on another channel of it's own

try to make sure channels are balanced, 2x256 in slot1 and slot2, 1x512 in slot3

dual channel only gives 2-4% performance boost

Hang on, some of you are saying put the sticks in slots 1 and 3, and some of u say put them in slots 2 and 3!

I had them in slots 2 and 3 before, and changed it to 1 and 3! so shall i leave it as they are, or change them back to slots 2 and 3???

it won't make a huge difference in any case, it's just simpler to tell ppl to put their memory in the blue slots to enable dual channel....

1 and 3 is dual channel for sure - right after you post it should say "dual channel" - that's how you know.... OR.... get cpu-z and look in the memory tab - you will see "DUAL"
mem.JPG

Yeah, thanks filip04, already checked it using CPU-Z....mine now does say 'Dual'. the sticks are in slots 1 and 3!

lol BUT!.............i have another query, it doesnt tell me on booting that its dual channel :p

Weird, slots 2 and 3 for me make it dual channel. I checked with CPU-Z. And as for it posting as dual channel, the 1003 bios won't tell you, but the 1004 bios will. At least that is my experience.

Godzilla said:
How do i update bios?

*sigh*

pull out the CD you got with your epox board... and install magic flash utility...

then it should be fairly straight-through from that point... oh yeah, take your overclock down to stock before you update it... last thing you want to do is crash while its flashing

Back