• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Greetings and some help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thalzaar24

First i wanna say hello to everyone. Been cruising these boards for a couple weeks and learning alot of information. Finally got around to registering, so here i am :)

Now on to the meat of my post.

A few months ago i bought some cheap components for a 2nd PC to have around. I got the following

AMD XP 1700
Asus A7S333
1 x 512 2100 DDR

Now, the problem i'm having is the motherboard recognizes the AMD as 1700, but will not run it at 1.4GHz (11 x 133). I currently have it set to 1GHz (11x100). I have tried everything but if i set it anywhere above 1GHz the pc just shuts off during boot or if it happens to make it to windows. There are jumper settings on the motherboard for the FSB or you can set it to manual and play with the FSB speeds in the BIOS. Either way, i still cannot get it to run higher than 1GHz.

Anyone know what could be causing this problem? It's really frustrating. Another interesting note is i downloaded the PC Wizard 03 and CPUZ. CPUZ will display my processor like it should, but when i run the PC Wizard 03, it displays all my system information except for the processor tab. It just says "Analyzing system settings" or whatever and just sits there forever not doing anything. It's as if my motherboard won't play nice with my processor.

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated and i'll provide any information you guys need to help.

Thanks

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!

What do you have the voltage set to?

this is an odd problem.

Well, no one really helped, but i managed to get it up and running at 1.47GHz now. Not sure what the problem was, but i took off the HS and Fan (Thermaltake Volcano 5) and looked at the bottom of the heatsink and noticed that the stock paste they had was pretty crappy.

I scraped off the old paste (or whatever it was hehe), cleaned it up as best i could and put some artic silver that i had left over from my other rig and re-attached the HS and Fan, set a couple jumpers and switches, put it to 1.47 (stock speed) and booted up.

So far so good and i ran 10 rounds of Sandra's burn in program. according to MBM5 the cpu got up to 48C and is running normally between 45-46C. Not the coolest, but i got a 120mm fan to plug on the side so maybe that will help.

Anyhow, just wanted to give an update in case anyone cared hehe

Yep - the COP on Asus boards gets a little touchy if you set it manually. Re-seating your heatsink seems to have made it obtain a better thermal contact with your CPU, hence no more random shutdowns because of spiralling temps.

Back