• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back Flow Heilum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Orion66

Registered
I was thinking about trying to setup a water block and use Heilum as a heat transfer from the CPU (whole socket) to the water block. You would need to put a o-ring between the water block and the cpu. Then you fill in the spacing between them with heilum. (using the heilum to transfer heat from one to the other) This would cool off the whole socket and not just the chip.

We do this type of cooling for Si wafers when running in sputter system at work. (making chips.)

Does anyone this this would work and would it be a benefit to cool off the whole socket? (would be alot of work to make)

I am not sure if it would work but it reminds me of thee Hindenburg (boom). :D Helium is a flammable gas around electronics. I wouldnt want to be in the same neighborhood. All it would take is a leak and a spark or ciggy.

Tread

LOL, the Hindenburg was made before they knew about helium. It was full of hydrogen, thats why it went boom. Helium is 100% non-flamable.

each thing that you place between the heat souce (CPU) and the transfer medium (water) adds another 2 places where the heat has to transfer from one place to the other (TIM) each added TIM increases the time it takes for the heat to be transferred to the water. if you did this with the helium, it wouldn't increase the water-blocks efficency, more than likely it would reduce it. now if you could come up with a way to pump helium through a void over the CPU basicly like a direct die phase-change unit but using helium instead of freon (R12, R134a, etc, etc...) it would probably work pretty darn well, although I'm not too sure about the phase-change ability of helium.

Back