• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a7n8x and 200fsb..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlucardCasull

I have the normal regular non-deluxe a7n8x with a 2600+ and a gig of hyper x. and i was wondering if anyone else with the a7n8x NON-deluxe has gotten to 200 fsb. my tops is 190 (it says 191 in bios, but it always takes 1 off, oh well) lemmie know if this board can support 200, thanks

this board does support 200/400fsb cpus such as the 3200+ if you upgrade your bios to 1004

i've got 200fsb, so do many others but it is difficult cause this board does kinda suck....

how many sticks of ram do you have? the more the dimms, the harder it gets... getting 200fsb in dual channel is also harder

if you have 2 sticks i suggest putting them in slot1 and slot2, this will disable dual channel mode, and don't worry, dual channel mode only gives you a 2-4% increase

also, do not use fan headers, getting power from the board can cause instability, plug all your stuff into the psu directly(u can still monitor rpms but don't use it for power)

what bios are you using? the 1004 fixed the display being 1 less than actual

you could also install the uber bios(custom bios) for this board, many ppl are using it and it gives you access to special functions(that asus hid) such as giving more voltage to the chipset(it has yet to be proven if the option actually does work but i have mine a little higher than default) which helps overclocking

bios can be found at www.nforcershq.com check in asus....

i've got 200fsb, so do many others but it is difficult cause this board does kinda suck....

10-4 on that.....

And i would be willing to bet that no more than around 20% of us have a 200 FSB or higher. An honest stable 200 fsb anyway, i can get mine to 200 but it aint worth the loss of stability.

AlucardCasull asked about the whether the STANDARD board could reach 200fsb, it can since it performs exactly the same as the deluxe, i think it might be down by a point maybe....

i'd estimate that about 35-40% of ppl who actually try to reach 200fsb to get it, it's hit and miss.....

check out nforcershq.com for success stories

well i've been on nforcershq.com since feb, i've seen a bunch get to 200fsb with 1.04 boards, many many more are getting 200fsb with rev 2.0 boards.....

this board does support 200/400fsb cpus such as the 3200+ if you upgrade your bios to 1004

Ive been wondering about this, on asus' web site it says that the 1004 BIOS for Revision 1.04 boards will add support for 200MHz FSB 3200+'s, although i dont have a 200FSB 3200 i did try overclocking to 200MHz with the new BIOS and the chipset would not do it, which suggests that it would not do it with an actuall 3200 either... So how can asus claim this?

i have a nondeluxe 1.04 (bios 1002A) with corsair xms 3200 and i'm able to hit 200 rock solid folding for weeks now. 205... got there but didn't test it out... 210 was a little iffy and 215 was not good at all.
i was stuck at 197 until i popped off the northbridge heatsink, cleaned off the chip and the base, and applied as3. it fired right up at 200 on the first try.

IceMan3928 you were overclocking a non 400fsb chip to 400fsb and you failed....

i know 1 person who has a 3200+ running with his a7n8x deluxe 1.04 and it runs 100% stable @ 400fsb

nothing is certain when overclocking... you can't just say the board can't do it just cause you failed....

btw all nf2 boards OFFICIALLY support 400fsb i belive, i know asus and abit do, not sure 100% sure about epox and some of the others...

i have a7n8x none delux rev 2.0 1003 bios i'm running at 2000+ 196x9.5 1.86mhz in dual channel 1-3 1.85 v-core i was up at 205 but i have a ****ty HS and fan so it got over 60c at load and unstable so i took it down to 196 very stable still hot, however im getting 1700 tbred -b with slk-800u Tt smartfan 2 i'm sure i will go over 200 easily im running corsair twin-x 2-256 3200LL very low cas.

yep i have the a7-8x non delux and i have the same problem as u AlucardCasull, i can't get 200 fsb either, maybe ill stop running dual channel mode, see if that helps at all

i was stuck at 197 until i popped off the northbridge heatsink, cleaned off the chip and the base, and applied as3. it fired right up at 200 on the first try.

I popped off the HS on the NB and put on a Vantec Iceburg fan with AS3. Not a bit of difference there either...

This board is like russian roulette. Some get a good one, others get a not so good one.

I truley believe that it is the lack of voltage that is killing me. If i had better eyes i would do a volt mod to the board, but things just aint as sharp as they used to be....

are you sure about that jetmech? could've sworn the default was 133/166 and you had to move the jumper for 100...

remove NB heatsink

how do you remove that HS?
i noticed the 2 anchoring points are spring loaded, but how do you pop it off?

you have to take the motherboard out of the case, squeeze the end of the pins together with needlenose pliers, and push them through the pcb (without gouging any of the traces.) then you can gently pry it off with a flathead screwdriver (i've heard that placing the motherboard in the freezer for awhile makes this much easier)
just don't slip

IceMan3928 you were overclocking a non 400fsb chip to 400fsb and you failed....

i know 1 person who has a 3200+ running with his a7n8x deluxe 1.04 and it runs 100% stable @ 400fsb

nothing is certain when overclocking... you can't just say the board can't do it just cause you failed....

btw all nf2 boards OFFICIALLY support 400fsb i belive, i know asus and abit do, not sure 100% sure about epox and some of the others...

Im not saying that the board cant do it just cause i failed, im asking why I failed because logicaly it doesnt make sense.

axhed said:
are you sure about that jetmech? could've sworn the default was 133/166 and you had to move the jumper for 100...
Page 1-10 of A7N8X User Manual E1269,

"1.9 Jumpers

2. Central Processing Unit FSB (CPU_FSB)

This jumper when set to 1-2 pins (default), enable support for Front Side Bus 333/266. When set to pins 2-3, it sets support for FSB 200 ONLY."

The jumper is just to the I/O shield side of the NB.

axhed said:
you have to take the motherboard out of the case, squeeze the end of the pins together with needlenose pliers, and push them through the pcb (without gouging any of the traces.) then you can gently pry it off with a flathead screwdriver (i've heard that placing the motherboard in the freezer for awhile makes this much easier)
just don't slip

freezer theory works like a charm..:cool:

radman

Back