• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7N8X and Radeon 9800pro Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MojoJoJo1967

Registered
Ok. Heres the deal.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo with a XP3000 cpu and running XP. Had the unit running with a 7200 Radeon card and had no probs what so ever. Extreamly pleased with all me own work and getting ready for the final item and then to the OC stage.

Radeon 9800 pro - the final item. Took the old Radeon card out, put the new 9800pro in. Booted up, posted ok, went in to the starting XP screen (thinking this is going well) then, when Xp starts and I'm supposed to be seeing the desktop - nothing. Just a black screen.

Am I missing a trick ?

The mobo worked fine with the old Radean but the new Radeon ain't working.

So, I took the 9800pro out of the new system and stuck it in my old system (iWILL mobo, 1.0 amd - OC'd to 1.45) and would you beleive it, no problem with the 9800pro card.

Do you guys have an answer to this ??

The absolute best way to fix this is ...............................Send me the 9800 and I'll trade you a 9700 Pro even trade.:D

OK first thing I would do is reboot with the old card and remove all programs for it in add/remove and goto device manager and remove it there also. It will probably want to reboot at this point so let it reboot at post power off. Change out to the new card and allow Windows to find it and get the newest drivers aswell. If this dont work try changing the agp in the bios to 4x and and check the apeture size aswell not sure if the apeture would make a difference. If you can adjust the agp voltage then increase it and make sure the power is plugged into the card good.

Tread

lots ppl have troubles with 9700 or higher with this board, problem is usually solved by formatting and reinstalling, i know it's extreme but it works....

try removing all teh old drivers and what not as tread70 suggested to see if you can get it working that way first....

keep fast writes disabled, you can also lock agp freq at 66

Not even Dude!!

Add-remove programs, and get rid of the old drivers. Then when windows asks you to re-boot, select "no". Go to the device manager, select your 7500, and select "remove". When windows askes you to re-boot, select "no". Now turn computer off, remove card, install card, and boot up. I suspect things might go better.

Scott

OK ppl.

I got it to work but not as you would expect.

1 - Booted up new machine with old card.
2 - Uninstalled drivers and graphics card
3 - Shut down
4 - Put new card in
5 - Re booted
Booted into windows - blank screen
Powered off
New card out
Old card in
Re booted
Booted into windows - blank screen [bugger]
Turn off and back on again
Booted into windows OK.
Put the 9800pro cd in the cd drive and installed the 9800 drivers.
Shut down
Old card out - New card in
Re booted into windows with no problems

Strange ?

Nice! Let us know how your benchmarks go. As for me, I put in an ati 9800 pro into my system and it scored an automatic 2000 more points in 3DMark2001se. BTW, what is your brand? Mine was Xstasy Visiontek.

Back