• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB cooling pointless....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Just something I found kinda intresting....Cooling my NB chip with anything weather it be a simple hs or a crystal orb is pretty pointless. Awhile back I did a mobo switch and it turned out that i had some incompatablility problems etc. When I put my old mobo back in I didnt put any type of hs, or hsf on my NB. When I ran the computer i was getting around 80*-86* F (depending on ambient temps) which I got with a vantec iceberg. Today i decided id put on a crystal orb which I bought for a ti200 which i cant use cause that mobo didnt work :( turns out...I got the same temps as w/o anything on it....I also got the same temps running 'cpu burn-in. Anyone else had the same results before? The only "difference" i can tell between the crystal orb and nothing at all is that w/ the crystal orb i can get a consistant temp of 84* F w/ an average ambient temp with nothing on the NB i would get 84* but every min or so it would bounce up to 86* but go back to 84* in a second or 2.

I haven't had that experience... my NB was getting into the low 90s with a heatsink on my p4 system... Slapped a fan on and it cooled right down... on an older system I was able to get 10MHz more out of the system after replacing the "green meanie" with a Zalman NB HS...

i believe the only ppl that actually need to worry about nb cooling are the overclockers. they need the nb at a low temp for a stable overclock. if the temp jumps around like u describe it obviously doesn't help, neither does the extra heat.

I also think nb cooling is useless. I had a Epox 8RDA+ rev 1.0 motherboard and I thought replacing the stock hs with a Vantec Iceberg would allow to get over 203MHz. But that wasn't the case. I actually lost a couple of MHz using the Iceberg fan over the stock hs.

do the VDD mod and you'll see that you NEED NB cooling... other than that its useless... (you need VDD mod to go over 200FSB on the 8rda+, i know)

It's not pointless at all if your using high FSB's and high VDD voltages.. it's better cooling or death.

wasnt saying its pointless for everyone....just saying that its pretty pointless for myself

Back