• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is "Lapped" (n00b Question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lapping usually applies to heatsinks ... in which case, lapping a heatsink means sanding the base of the heatsink flat. keyword here: flat, NOT shiny. lapping basically removes all the imperfections in the heatsink and provides a better thermal interface with the chip.

let we see lapping in the graphic...

lapping.jpg

hmmm... :D

"Lapping" is the art of smoothing down a surface to help with heat transfer. People have been doing this to heat sinks for years, but it really could be applied to about anything. While this is a rather easy process, it's possible to go too far and ruin your chip (northbridge)

for some northbridges, they are slightly curved... although flat to the naked eye... lapping would smooth it down so that more surface area comes in direct contact with the heatsink, therefore lowering temperatures... there is plenty of guides out there... if you need links i can give you some...

Awww.. I got nailed with the "use the search tool" message!

Thanks for the quick replies.

On a side note. Lapping is to make the surface for the core flatter? Is this needed for AMD CPU's?

i lapped my xp1800, but only lightly to rough up the surface. Be careful about rounding the edges cause if the edges are worn down to much, it will be just like a chipped core.

i lapped core plate of celeron, till i see copper layer...
and now it reads core temp, 130C!!! :eek:

i kill my socket celeron's temp sensor! :eh?:

DO NOT lap an amd core unless you fell very confident and can replace it. Just the heatsink. I lapped all of my heatsinks.

whereismy386 said:
i lapped core plate of celeron, till i see copper layer...
and now it reads core temp, 130C!!! :eek:

i kill my socket celeron's temp sensor! :eh?:

:eek: <~~All I have to say. :D

some aren't made as flat as you think. my heatsink had machining marks, little circular marks, which can't be too good for a thermal interface (less contact with the chip). a good lapping got rid of those and it's a lot smoother/flatter.

Lapping is the basically the remove of all imperfectations in the base of heatsink by sanding them off. It leaves the heatsink perfectly flat. This increases the cooling capabilities of the heatsink by creating a tighter connection with the CPU die and the base of the heatsink.

Thank You,
Daniel

Back