• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this work for better cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdperson

I want to put a duct on my cpu and have an idea but im not sure if it will work.

I want to make the duct the same size as my cpu fan (60mm) but in the middle of the duct i want to make the diameter about 30mm for a length of about 70mm. I want 2 do this coz i have heard that the air gets cooler when the airflow becomes smaller.

I cant make the duct too long coz im going to put a duct in direct line with my cpu. I have a diagram of my idea but i dont know how to post it.

Any help would be great!

Only one way to find out. What type of material will the duct be made out of? Cardboard? To post a picture, you need to host it on a site like theforumisdown.com, the click the image button when you post, and copy the link for the image into the box.

Ok here's my idea
Airflow1.jpg

If I was you to get decent temps, I'd screw your mod and just get a decent heatsink.

That looks like all it will do it cause more noise, and stress your fan more due to it having to suck more. I would upgrade the heatsink first to drop the temps, then do the mod.

i think he is looking for a proof of idea not an actual drop in temps persay. get a new HS but i would agree that the mod owuld only stress the fans.

compressing air does cause it too cool, but the effect is not that great on the scale you are dealing with. If you want to really look into doing this I would sujest that you get a reducer for your fan that goes from 120mm or 92mm down to your 60mm for your fan. Put a 120mm or 92mm fan on the side of your case and run the duct down to your reducer without the putting the restriction in the duct, like what was said earlier it will only make the fan work harder.

it will work alittle, mabye 1 c if your lucky. But what about taking the seconed fan away and not making the duct larger at the end. and attach the fan to the side of the case, make a hole for it to suck air from out side case, and just point it so the flow will be directed at the center of the heatsink where the heat is coming from. dont attach duct to heatsink. but it would be better using a 120 mm fan. i water cool but i guess the principle of taking the heat from the center first should still be the same. it makes a large difference it water cooling, what about here?

Last edited:
Compressing air causes it to heat... from friction. The speed of the air is what would cause cooling, but it would be negligable.

Do the mod without the narrowing of the duct... used card to duct air from an old sink straight out th back of the case.... droppped CPU by over 5°C and case by 3°c...

Only the ducting with one size tubing would be worth it. It is true that with extreme compression it would cool but not with that.

Thank You,
Daniel

Back