• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to attach fan to 8rda+ nb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3

i felt my northbridge heatsink the other day and it burned my finger, it's conducting heat just fine i think, i want to cool it down with a fan, but what would be a good way to mount a fan to the stock northbridge? i was considering the zalman bracket with a 120mm fan but that would be too far away, i don't want a tornado or any strong fan (i want a quiet rig)

what's good for this, electrical tape?

i would recommend the following:

take off the old heatsink
put on a heatsink/fan combo such as:

-blue orb (<-- i used this one)
-crystal orb
-vantec iceberg

use thermal tape to attach it (which comes with the heatsink/fan) as the pins are too close together

put the old heatsink on the southbridge (the pins fit in the holes)

if you need more detailed instructions for pulling off old heatsink i can add them here :D

To put the stock NB hs on the SB you have to cut/grind it down to fit. You can just glue a 50mm fan to the middle of the NB hs.

i have a blue orb, not on anything right now, those hsf combos listed are just too loud for me, i guess i will have to glue a fan on

thanks for the help guys, anyone else want to comment/suggest?

thanks for the link, i think i'm going with a zalman bracket with either a 92mm or 120mm fan, my pc is pretty silent but i think i can still do better in terms of noise :( , i have enermax adjustables turned all the way down (about 1900-2100 rpm) on the cpu heatsink and for exhaust, enermax adjustable fan psu turned down too, the second loudest thing in my pc is the whining of the maxtor harddrive and the loudest is the video card where i just epoxied an amd stock heatsink/fan to :eek: , almost time to go video card shopping...or maybe i should give noise a chance...

Back