• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need an Opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkHawk

OK, another how far will I make it Q?

I have searched etc. And I haven't found anything very pertinent.

I have a:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 (1004 Bios)
Athlon XP 2700+ Tbred B AIUHB
2 x 512 MB No-Name PC2700
Radeon 9000 Non-Pro

How good is this?
How far can I expect to take it?
Is my current 175 x 13 = 2280 MHZ good for the cheap memory?
If I had the money, what should I buy to get better gaming?

hmm, gonna try to answer all 3 questions...

1) it looks like a good system... watch out for the board, they like to die under a lot of bios changes
2) ur memory seems to be doing pretty well... as pc2700 is 300mhz (150fsb)... nice overclock on that
3) for extra money, get a better graphic card

2) Actually, PC2700 is 333(166FSB). Taking it to 175 is good for the cheap memory. If you can take it to 180 with no problems, then you've got good no-name memory. However, it might not last very long. I would suggest a name brand like Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, etc. For the Graphics card, go for the 8500LE or go for a 9500Pro.

oops my bad... sorry... yea, youre right, i dont' know what i was thinking... :(

although i would go with a 9500 NON pro, then you can do the mod :)

I had an 8500 LE and I haven't noticed much difference in performance. I know that the board is known for dying mine has done it once, I exchanged it at the retailer in the time period alloted, I am running under the same 1004 bios that I had before, so I am hoping that it doesn't do it again.

I love the performance of having a small page file, from now on my main systems will always have a gig or more in them. And Dual channel rules!!

Not that I can compare much, since my last one was an 1800+ Pally on a PC133 Memory board ( K7T Turbo 2 )

The 8500 died, however I really wanna do something to this 9000 and I think that it will take quite a bit.

What kinda OC on the vid card can I expect?
What kinda softmods, mods, etc can I do?
Will the stock cooling do for most situations?
How difficult is it to attatch a Chrome Orb to this card specifically?

Thanks guys, I love the forums, best computer support site ever.

go for samsung or crucial pc2700, both overclock to pc3200 speeds with ease

up the ddrvoltage to see if you can go higher, also relaxe teh timings to 8-4-4-3T, if you do get it 200fsb error free, you can then work on tightening those timings up

I get errors at 180 FSB and 7-3-3-3T, so perhaps 8-4-4-3T and 190 FSB?
Whats the cheapest I can get 2 x 512 Brand Name PC2700?
If I do make it to 190 FSB and better than highest timings, will my memory require cooling?
How about my NB?
My SB?

slap a small heatsink onto the sb

most ppl prefer active cooling for nb but if you just replace the thermal goop on the nb with arctice silver 3 that should be just fine

yes relax the timings to 8-4-4-3T

don't think you need any cooling for the ram since the timings will be so slow but i can't say for sure

Whats better 200 FSB and very relazed timings? or 175 FSB and 6-2-2-2.5T?
Currently running at 166 FSB and 6-2-2-2T which seems as fast as the 180 and relaxed timings I had on earlier, except it is not erroring in Prime95 now, where it did before.

well run some benchmarks to find out for sure, see how your 3dmark01se scores are...

if you can get 8-3-3-2.5T at 200fsb i'm sure that's way better than 6-2-2-2T at only 166

ok, well at the speed I am at, which is 166 FSB and 6-2-2-2T I get 9743 3D Marks in 3D Mark 2001 SE and 678 in 3D Mark 03, although I dont have hardware support for Test 4:Mother Nature on that one.

Back