• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a spray you can buy to prevent condensation on a Cpu or Gpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I sell chemicals for electronic/electrical maintenance and I am not aware of any.

Maybe you need a dehumidifier in the room.

Look for Conformal Coatings and sprays.

There are some products available but I have not heard of anyone using them directly on a processor chip- usually they are used in computers with chillers or pelts to coat the back of the mobo, and for the more adventurous, parts of the front as well ;) although insulation (closed cell foam or neoprene are the most common insulation materials I know of.)

I have been trying a new product from 3M called "Novec EGC-1700" it is alomost like a silicon spray, real thin, and you cant really tell its even on there but seems to work as well as that nasty red uerethane without the mess. :rolleyes:

rogerdugans said:
Look for Conformal Coatings and sprays.

Had thought about that, however, did not know what ramifications that would have on voiding warranties. (I know, nobody returns O/C'd chips as "defective") That alone would still not solve the condensation problem. Still think dehumidification is the answer.

Boy, is it really worth all this trouble for a few extra Hz ??:confused:

Your question is kind of a trick....

Conformal coating mentioned here does not prevent condensation itself, it just makes sure it doesn't cause any harmful short-circuits by making a thin insulating layer ontop of electronics.

To remove the possibility of condensation, like kagee108 said, get a dehumidifier, or somehow lower the temperature difference between objects and air (insulating with closed cell noeprene, DO NOT use ordinay kitchen sponge, they breathe)

surlyjoe said:

UPS guy just delivered my bottle this afternoon!! I tested it out a little strangely, I took an old defunct 10/100 card, coated half of it, and left the 2nd half untouched, poured some water over the card (none stuck to the coated side) then placed it in my kitchen freezer. I'll post an update on the condensation issue in a couple hours after it gets nice and cold.

Why do they ask soo many questions to get the sample? I don't feel like talking to them on the phone just to get a sample.... what was the subject of your message?

they never called, just sent it.
all I said was that I was going to be applying it to the components in my water-cooled computer to help protect them incase of a leak

no conformal coating will stop condensation, all they do is keep the stuff from drowning, they are too thin to do any insulating :rolleyes: at least this stuff isnt a gooey red mess that screams voided warranty!

surlyjoe said:
no conformal coating will stop condensation, all they do is keep the stuff from drowning, they are too thin to do any insulating :rolleyes: at least this stuff isnt a gooey red mess that screams voided warranty!

Yea, it's a completely clear liquid that you can spray on the circuit boards (just use a model size spray gun for airbrushing, and it works great)
and it's completely invisible after drying (for those pesky RMA's)

I got mine today!!

Nice little can, Also it came it a waffer board to test on.

A GREAT deal for free.... Plus it looks like enough to cover a whole computer setup...

:D

Back