• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it humanly possible to fit an 80 mm fan into an slk-700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kino

cause no online shops with international shipping/billing seem to carry the sk-7 and i really dont wanna dig 10+ bux on an slk-800 overkill
since it has clips for 60, 70, and the 72 TMD fan... it it humanly possible (by bending clips, etc) to fit an 80mm in there?

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Well given time, ingenuity, and an open mind darn near anything is possible, and around this place doing what seems difficult or impossible is almost commonplace. I don't personally have an SLK-700 so to give you specific direction I can't, but so long as you have room in your case and are willing to examine the problem of attaching the fan to the heatsink creatively, it certainly is doable.

SkyHook

i believe the sk-7 is the same thing, and it can take 80mm fans

anyone know the real difference in the 2? the sk-7 is only $20

the slk-700 only takes 60/70 and the tmd 74 thingy, and is slightly bigger than the sk-7
i gave some tought to it last nite.... is it wrong if a heatsink is magnetic?...VERY magnetic?

If you really want to put a bigger fan you could get a bracket, 60mm to 80mm or even 80mm to 120mm! The converters are available at lots of cooling sites around.

Thank You,
Daniel

I've seen many members on these forums using SK7's with Smartfans. I don't think you even have to do anything fancy to get it to fit on. The 70mm clips very slightly bent should easily do the job. I've even gotten an 80mm on an SK6+, by mounting it diagonally with 60mm clips. An SK7 should be np.

im not talking bout an SK7 here, im talkin bout an SLK7
the SK is designed to fit 80mm fans.... the SLK700 only holds 60, 70 and the 74 TMD thingy
oh btw, does anyone know if this TMD fan is any good?

The TMD fan is "good" (performance wise), but not reliable. Ofcourse "chasingapples" will come here and say it is the best and that it IS reliable, to say it IS reliable would be lying. There are to many forum members stating there TMD came dead or stopped working, to say it is reliable. IMO it is trash. There is a thread on the 2nd page of this forum (general cooling) his TMD died after '6' days. Good thing he was at his pc when it happened.:eek:

so i can just run it with the slk-700 on a 2500 barton (not ocing till i get my smartfan) till i figure out if i should order a smartfan or not?

I hope you will have a fan on the slk? Any fan will do as long as it spins, :) so yes it will as long as you have a fan on it. The fan is up to you, you can just use screws to hold it on it will bend the fins slightly where the screws will go in, but I doubt it will hurt performance, do what you want.

Back