• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build AMD system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ze0ro

Never worked on an AMD based system and thought now would be a good time. Main area of concern is selection of Motherboard. I plan on overclocking and any pointers you guys can give me would go a long way.

Sort of depends on which processor you're looking to get and how you want to do your overclocking. Sometimes it can be difficult to do high multiplier/low fsb overclocking because certain motherboards don't support multipliers above 12.5x. I think the Soltek nForce2 motherboards don't overclock happily this way. And then you have motherboards that overclock all ways, like certain Abit boards. Poke around on the forums, and search stuff up. There's a lot of good info.

You might want to give this a good read... about processors:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173635&highlight=unlocking+multipliers

Sometimes it can be difficult to do high multiplier/low fsb overclocking because certain motherboards don't support multipliers above 12.5x.

What is mean is for low-end Thoroughbred B's (like the 1700+). High end CPUs have the opposite problem.

Back