• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help guys, I've read and still cant get anywhere.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tekpc2k2

Hello everyone first off I want to thank everyone on this forum for all the info that they provide to us noobs. It's cause of these boards that I have bought the equipment I have now. My problem is the following. Well first let me tell you all what equipment i have.

Cpu: 1700+ Tbred b Jiuhb Dlt3c 0310 xpmw

Board: A7N8X Deluxe Revision 1.4 with latest Asus bios-1004

Ram: 512 Buffalo chip pc3200, and an extra 512 pc2100 Crucial but I've only been trying with the Buffalo chip from new egg cause its supposed to be better than the Crucial.

Heatsink: Slk800a with Artic Silver3

Fan: TT SF II

Video Card: Radeon 7000LE

HDD's: 160g-Maxtor 8mb Cache, 40g 2mb Maxtor

DVD: Pioneer dvd-105,Lite-on 16x DVD rom

I have a regular case with side window from dealsonic. I have 2 exhaust fans on the back and the stock PSU which was rated at 420W.

Guys I really need some help here. I cannot get this thing to overclock past 168MHZ. I have tried different settings that I have read on here from people with similar systems. I've messed with it so much that i have erased my bios chip around 7 times. Luckily I have 2 extra chips, that i can swap and then hot flash the one that gets corrupted. So if anyone can please lend me a hand here. I would really appreciate it very much. I dont know what else to do. I see people here with all these great speeds and I cant even come close to that. If someone even lived in my area and can even look at it for me I'd be willing to pay you. I'm in miami,fl. Well folks sorry to make my first post this whole ordeal type thing, but i didnt know where else to turn. Thanks

Tekpc

that cpu will do 2.2 easy and i'm sure it'll go above 2.3

remove the nb sink, clean up that bubble gum thermal goop asus put on there, slap some arctic silver 3 on there and replace the heatsink

also put a sink on the sb, any small heatsink will do really

lock your agp at 66

put your memory into slot2

dont' use fan headers

relaxe your mem timings

is that a 'good' psu btw? ppl having trouble ocing with generic psu will replace it with an enermax or an antec and find that they can oc somemore.....

Test your memory with memtest86 . Leave it running overnight, you shouldn't see any errors if the RAM is good. If it isn't, get some Corsair instead. And don't even think about mixing RAM, that's very bad mojo.

Get a decent PSU!

Good luck...

Need more information. What voltage are you running? What Multiplier, and FSB mixture? What are the temps? Need more info, i'm sure we can get it to do more....

And i would Not go out and buy a new Power supply.... I am running the PS that came with a $30.00 case,(highly modded of course..) a 330 watt el cheapo. People always love to pull straws, and it's always "buy a better PS" or "buy better Ram"... When they really have no idea.

I aint telling you to Buy anything... All i need is, more info.

well you should always have a good psu, doesn't matter if you're overclocking

if you are overclocking, anyone who's knows just a little will tell you that you need a good psu to begin with

fact is after running into walls while ocing, some ppl go out and buy 'good' psu's and find that they can go higher...

There is not one shred of evidence in his post that points to Needing a new power supply.

That is just the standard answer people give when they don't know whats wrong...

Ok thanks everyone for your help. Can someone give me like example settings to put the pc at. I'm currently running it at 1.8 ghz. When i try to go above that windows always gives me a problem or the pc wont post. I just need to know some basic setting. Like how to run the ram settings and all other settings also. I cant boot no matter what multi I have it at to 200fsb. I can have it on the lowest one and i dont think that I can boot up. I have pretty good equipment. I just got a new psu antec tru power 430 and it feels like it works better. The only thing that is crappy in my pc is the video card which is a radeon 7000le 64mb, i dont know if that has anything to do with it. If u can guys can please help me out. I would really appreciate it. I'm not trying to get greedy and run like at 2.3 0r 2.4 gha, hell i wish. But something a little below that is what i see everyone else running at. I just want to keep up with everyone else here. Thanks.

Willing to try anything that u guys recommend.

OK...

Start with what works.

Reset the FSB. to say ...150.
1700 "B"?.... set multiplier to 11.5

Set CPU voltage to max. 1.8v or best you have.

Start low & go up from there when O/C'ing.

If you boot & run fine there for a while.
It'll be ur starting point. 11.5x150

(saying it works)
Now, reboot, reset mult to 8
reset FSB to 160.
reboot, go into ? windoz?

Run you benchies, see how stable it is there.
Is it stable? yes? good.
Now keep resetting ur FSB, up, untill it becomes
unstable.
190 ya say? 200? 180?

Ok, that's ur FSB limit ( now -5)

ok, ur max FSB -5.... say 185.

Alright, now reboot, go into BIOS.
FSB is @ 185,
reset multi to 9.
then 10.
then 11
then 11.5
then 12.
then 12.5

boot into windoz after each successfull boot.
trying your benchies, making sure you are stable @ that speed.

Find the max multiplier that way.

Once you have topped out, you should be there.
Run a benchie, then a burn in program.

Several burn progs around, just do a search.

Good Luck, let us know.
:cool:

Last edited:
Timings when finding MAX FSB should be lax...
2.5-3-3-6 or 3-4-4-6

Faster timings like 2.5-2-2-2-5 will limit the amout of FSB you reach. Or 2-2-2-5 is also a fast setting.

So relax the timings a bit. 2.5 or 3, -3-3-5
& optimal.

Back