• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dont spread Ceramique??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Surface tension with a P4 can be a problem with any thermal compound. To avoid removing the CPU with the heatsink, remove the heatsink right after shutting down the system. This way the thermal compound will be warm. The other trick is to gently twist the heatsink a tad after removing the clip. This helps break the surface tension.

We did extensive testing on how to apply Ceramique. For a small die like an Athlon, a little dab in the middle followed by a twist of
the heatsink works as well as a carefully spread layer. Please note we do not recommend this application method for AS3.

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.

In simple terms, Ceramique is better at getting out of it’s own way. Excess thermal compound flows out of the thermal interface with more ease than with AS3. This makes it easier to get a minimum bond line with Ceramique, hence the simplified application instructions for small surface areas.

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.

well wow, Im gonna have to try that. I sure hope it doesnt make much of a difference from what I am doing...

Colin, I didnt know you worked for artic silver, how long has that been?

Jon

I went to work for Arctic Silver in April of this year. What a great bunch of folks! :D

Colin

FleshEating Bob said:

Heh, are they expecting toddlers/escaped mental patients to be putting heatsinks on CPUs?

No, but they are expecting people to accidentally get some thermal compound on their hands and then go have a snack.

Back