• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need cheap alluminum heatsink for L1A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxicrain

What is a good budget alluminum heatsink for a low cfm fan (under 28 cfm). No more than 12$ :) This will be for a 1600+ pally by the way.

james.miller said:
coolermaster x-dream. performs almost identically to an sk-7 and will knock the spots off the v8 for a few more $$

I had found a few better also for a few more $$ BUT he said no more than $12 and under 28cfm.

Just the heatsink, no fans please :) I want to put an 80mm L1a panaflow on it. What would be a good choice?

Well to tell you the truth James Miller is giving you some good information...The X-Dream for the money is really hard to beat...Here is the older version from directron that is 12.00 bones http://www.directron.com/hacv81.html If you want quiet they can be virtually silent...Things start getting a little hot and better cooling is just a turn of the knob away...For 12.00 bucks you really are not going to find anthing that is even close...Works good and is Cheap!!! Sorry about linking you to another Coolermaster with a fan on it...But like James Miller it is just an option...;)

I'm currently in the middle of an order @ SVC, and can pick up an SK-6 for 10$. I'm already ordering a ton of other stuff from them, so it will be comfortable for me if I order from them. How will this cooler perform compared to the x-dream, and sorry if I said alluminum only, I thought there was no copper coolers this cheap. :)

EDIT: DOH 60mm fan only! ouch

Well actually you can buy the Y.S. Tech TMD fan adapter for 5.00 dollars and go to nexfan for the TMD's for 5.00 dollars...I have used this combination for people who just have to have a TMD fan...Not a bad setup for 20.00 without shipping...Looks cool and works good...Not nearly as good as the Coolermaster though and cost more money...:eek:

Where do they sell that coolermaster everyone is talking about? Just directron?

fine. but dont you think a better decision can be made if you have ALL the options laid out in front of you? i do.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
Agreed. And you'll save more money in the long run if you check out all your options and get a quality sink, rather than realizing 2 months down the road that you really should have spent $5.00 more for a better sink. (Which would leave you spending more than double your budget, rather than $5.00 over your budget.)

If you're considering a $17 sink, I'd just get the $19.99 Thermalright SK7 that's made for an 80mm fan is just .02 C/W off from the SLK800. Please look at the heatsink ratings on the main http://www.overclockers.com site. Also, no fan to throw away. ;) Just yet another option...

Otherwise, I'd also recommend checking our classifieds section. :)

-- Paul

Ah, but that one only accepts a 60mm fan. You could get a 60mm->80mm adapter for it, though. -- Paul

How about an all-aluminum 80mm HSF for $5. The GC-68 from SVC works great and is cheap. I've built a lot of PIII and Tualatin Celeron rigs using this heatsink + a Panaflo L1A or the 18cfm NMB fan. I generally don't go for cheap stuff but this HSF really is 'da bomb, especially for $5.

Ralf, that's interesting. I'm sure that the one-piece construction helps the AL hs's performance considerably...

I'm especially interested by your use of these with Panaflo LO's. Am I to assume that you maintain decent case airflow to make it work acceptably well?

-- Paul

macklin01 said:

I'm especially interested by your use of these with Panaflo LO's. Am I to assume that you maintain decent case airflow to make it work acceptably well?

-- Paul

You betcha!

I only use Antec SX6xx, Sx8xx, SX10x0 (or their Cheiftec/Chenming clones) or the Antec SLK3700 to build systems with. All these cases have excellent airflow even with just a few Panaflo L1As or 18cfm NMBs as case fans.

I am quite happy with Chieftec and Panaflo L1A fans. Nice airflow throughout the case and even on my overclocked processor.

I am pretty high right now but @ full load I am at 49*C right now with an AX-7 parred with the Panaflo fan.
I have a 1700+ @ 2.2ghz right now due to warm summer temps.

Back