• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S v2.0 bios, which verison should I flash to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

My NF7-S mobo came with bios version 10. There have been three updates since then so I assume 10 is outdated. Is there a consensus as to which version is best? I've seen quite a few people using 14. How about the cpu temp measurement issue? I've read the NF7 reads the cpu temp too high, but then I think I've read one of the newer bios versions gives a measurement that is too low.

Can someone post a link to the BIOS 14 and the flash program I'm supposed to flash with? Abit has it on their website, but I don't know which one to download now since they have the v2.0 is the same spot as the first one...

Also, when I flashed my BIOS to 14 (I tried it...), it didn't give me any selections to choose from. I had ti type the bin file's name in from memory (I wrote it down so I know I typed it in correctly). After typing it in, and having it do some stuff, when my HDD's light was off, it just sat there for a while, doing absolutely nothing after it told me it has completed the update... it just sat there, so I manually rebooted. ---- Now, I get stutters in my games and the sound was REALLY weird, kinda stuttery, when I playing an MP3 while I was copying a file from one spot to another on my HDD.

Is that weird?

:Amino: Can someone post a link to the BIOS 14 and the flash program I'm supposed to flash with? Abit has it on their website, but I don't know which one to download now since they have the v2.0 is the same spot as the first one...

You can obtain the Rev. 1.4 BIOS FILE HERE :D Please make sure you're using this file for NF7/NF7-S Rev. 2.0 ONLY!! And you should make sure you have the "Latest"
AWDFLASH 8.23D or later to update NF7 series BIOS ;)

Other than that, you should be good to go, just remember, your BIOS will be reset to "Defaults" after Flashing so you will need to make adjustments after you "reboot"!

Best of luck!

DpGravy

How do you tell which awdflash program you're downloading? It doesn't say anywhere which is which, and the program that is downloaded just says awdflash.exe!

On the bios screen at the very bottom there is a code. The two right-most digits is the bios version. Mine says 10 which means version 1.0.

Go with 14 i had to many problems with trying to overclock with 1.0 bios, ever since i flashed my bios i havnt had any problems at all.

Amino said:
How do you tell which awdflash program you're downloading? It doesn't say anywhere which is which, and the program that is downloaded just says awdflash.exe!

If your not certain which "BIOS or Utility" your DownLoading, just install the Utility called ABIT FlashMenu-Award BIOS from the CD which contains all the drivers/Utilities that your MotherBoard requires when installing your OS for the first time, or “Reformatting because of a BOO BOO :eek:

This Utility gives you ALL the information that you require when "UpDATING" your current BIOS from the ABIT website, not to mention a few other goodies! ;)

Best of luck, and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask! :D

DpGravy

The file I downloaded from Abit for bios 14 includes not only the bios but the required flash utility as well. There were five files included within the download file. The Abit site says all I have to do is copy those files to a disk, boot from the disk, then type runme.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I think I've got it working.

</threadjack>

sry! And yeah, my CPU was read at being 51C before. Now it's 39C :D

Amino = Happy Boy

The file I downloaded from Abit for bios 14 includes not only the bios but the required flash utility as well. There were five files included within the download file. The Abit site says all I have to do is copy those files to a disk, boot from the disk, then type runme.

I just now booted from the disk and typed "runme", but then I get the statement, "please DO NOT run this batch file in windows". It then says to press any key, which I do, and I get "bad command or file". I guess I'll try flashing manually.

UPDATE:

It didn't work because I copied the nf7d14.exe file to the disk instead of abitfae.bat. *smacks himself*

Last edited:
Just flashed to 14. I know some people complained about cpu temps being reported too high with previous bios versions, but when version 14 knocks 10 degrees off the cpu I can't help but wonder if it is too low now. Mine is now idling at 35 with a 29 case temp and 25 room temp. I hardly have the best cooling available... Alpha PAL8045 w/ 39cfm Panaflo.

Ge|atinousFury said:
Should the BIOS be updated to 14 before the OS is installed or afterwards? Does it matter at all?

I have often pondered about the very same question, so I would imagine everyone has their own "Opinion" on this matter, but for myself I first installed my OS (without Activation) installed all the updates (including SP1) Installed latest DirectX, then I installed all my Nvidia Drivers/Utilities. Once this was up and running stable, I used the ABIT Flash Menu-Award BIOS Utility and flashed my BIOS from windows to the latest version (it was 12 at that time) rebooted, then set up all my OverClocking settings in the BIOS (200FSB *11 & 210FSB *10 & RAM timing settings) then I got the "RED" warning "DO NOT TURN OFF POWER BIOS SAVING SETTING" thingy, then it rebooted to the post screen and WAHLAH! I was into Windows without a hitch ;)

Now there is a "LOT" of people that do not trust the Windows FLASH Utility with good reason, but I believe in giving every program at least one chance, so far I have had NO problems flashing this way, just make sure you are NOT Overclocked when updating your BIOS to a new one or you WILL indeed get corruption of the Hard Drive via. The OS so be careful :)

Other than that well, this is just my opinion and one of many :eek:

Best of luck!

DpGravy

runme???
press alt-f2 from the post screen , and automatically would load awdflash.exe and update your bios (from a: )

Back