• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to glue a heatsink to a southbridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Epoxy is very good, and very permanent.

Check out http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_hardware_00035.asp for a quick comparison - short story is that it's not quite as good as AS3, but it will get the job done nicely.

You can also do less permanent things like cutting the AA with AS3 - this does not change the conductive properties of the TIM but makes a weaker bond, theoretically one that you can twist off if neccesary (of course, you run the risk of breaking things if you do this). You can also use AS3 with a dab of superglue at the corners - this should come off no problem.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of going with Arctic Alumina. What is the procedure to using it? Is it permanent and are there any risks of damage with it?

I put an Iceberq 4 on my NB and since it's made for Radeons only one pin would fit.. i just put a tiny bit of super glue on 2 corners and AS3 everywhere else.

toxicrain said:
I'm thinking of going with Arctic Alumina. What is the procedure to using it? Is it permanent and are there any risks of damage with it?
http://www.arcticsilver.com/alumina_adhesive_instructions.htm

It is permanent. As I said before, you can also do less permanent things like cutting the AA with AS3 - this does not change the conductive properties of the TIM but makes a weaker bond, theoretically one that you can twist off if neccesary (of course, you run the risk of breaking things if you do this). You can also use AS3 with a dab of superglue at the corners - this should come off no problem.

I have seen some people take the standard AS3/ceramique and put it in the middle with some small dabs of super glue on the corners. It all depends if your one of those people that will take things off and send it back RMA if you break it. Otherwise just Alumina it and be done....forever..:)

Just to clarify things about the AS products,

Arctic Silver II, III & Arctic Alumina are thermal compounds
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive & Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive are Epoxy

Hopefuly you don't get them mixed up when ordering them. Way too many people interchange the product names that they make a mistake when ordering.

One thing you have to consider when using thermal compound is that they require a certain clamp force for them to work properly. Thermal compound in the center & dabs of superglue in the corners doesnt nearly work as efficient because of the weak clamp force, its next to useless really. If you want it to be detachable use 1 part Epoxy to 1 part thermal compound by weight. When you do this modification be it permanent of not you do not have the right to RMA the product once it goes bad because you already have voided your warranty, live with it or don't mod it.

Back