• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another lapping question - sorry...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKeefe

Sorry, I know no one wants to read whole threads on "what's lapping?" or anything like that, so I'll try to keep it usefull.

I understand what lapping is, how it works, and why we do it, and I have lapped heatsinks before. My question is how to effectively lap chips like GPU cores and northbridges, where you can't run them directly over sandpaper placed on glass (because they are attached to PCBs).

So, how do people effectively lap on-board chips?

That is a more difficult thing to do. First off not many chips need it but when they do I would recomend using steel wool. Depending on how rough it is you will want to start with a Medium and then move up successively until you reach ultra fine or what ever the finest is. This should do a good job of lapping it. Make sure you either blow the board off or vacuum it off before using it because if there is a shred of metal it could cause a short circuit and fry your board.

Thank You,
Daniel

Back