• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kdog154

I am running a 1800+ pally @ stock. CPU-Z is reading my Vcore @ 1.76.

My CPU IDLE temp is 37°c and my system temp is 30°c. The CPU has the stock AMD HS+Fan that came w/ the CPU.

Are these good temps for a stock HS+Fan and for having the Vcore up @ 1.76 ?

No this is a stock CPU. I was just wondering if it was good cooling since the Vcore for stock is set @ 1.76 which creates more heat.

I just tested the LOAD temps w/ Prime95 and after test12 my CPU temp was 42°c and my system temp was 31°c.

Yes that is pretty good. I personally wouldn't use a stock heatsink. That is why I get my CPU's OEM not retail. But despite that those are decent temps. Try a high quality heatsink sometime.

Thank You,
Daniel

Well I'm planning on buying a 1700+ Tbred in a few weeks and that is when I'm going to upgrade the HS to a SLK-900u.

900u is good but expensive, I personally would get an AX-7 over it, but that's mainly because I can't justify spending $50 on a heatsink.

Which thermal paste works the best? Or do they all pretty much do the same thing?

I have some old AS but I heard that the new one is much better.

Temps: looks pretty good BUT- idle temp really does not show a whole lot: to find out how well the system is really performing you need to find out what the temp is under 100% cpu load.

The chip will generate a lot more heat under load. It is possible that a solution that seems fine at idle will be insufficient at higher loads which can lead to (oh, the horror!) crashes during your favorite game ;)

As far as thermal compounds go: I have seen numerous tests done over time and the absolute best seems to be Shin Etsu.
BUT- all of the top thermal compounds seem to perform within 1 or 2 degrees celsius of each other; a proper application seems far more important for performance than which compound is used.

Even the white goop that we all make fun of performs decently well when applied correctly :D

rogerdugans said:

As far as thermal compounds go: I have seen numerous tests done over time and the absolute best seems to be Shin Etsu.
BUT- all of the top thermal compounds seem to perform within 1 or 2 degrees celsius of each other; a proper application seems far more important for performance than which compound is used.

:D

Only 1 or 2 degrees under load, I would have thought more. So your old AS should do the trick. I'm using AS3 and it seems to work pretty well. I used the Shin Etsu once but saw higher temps and I thought I put it on right, go figure.

Yeah the AS3 is the new one I was referring to.

rogerdugans- How long to run Prime95 to have the CPU @ 100% LOAD?

I ran it to test12 and then I had to go, but the temps were 42°c when i shut it off.

im using ASC(artic silver ceramic) and it seems good put a rice size dot in the core and slap on the HS no speading required :)

DepthwD- What are some stable fsbxmulti settings you had running?

What fsbxmulti did you use to get to 2.0-2.1 and which Vcore did you have it set @ ?

Back