• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive letter assignments and PATA/SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKeefe

I'm wondering what happens when both PATA and SATA HHDs are connected to a Springdale or Canterwood board, specifically the Abit IC7 or the Asus P4P800, but any Springdale or Canterwood knowledge would be appreciated.

The reason I ask is because I need to know which drive (the PATA drive or the SATA drive) is detected in the BIOS as the primary master. This will help answer some of my partitioning questions.

Please see this thread for more details.

JKeefe said:
I'm wondering what happens when both PATA and SATA HHDs are connected to a Springdale or Canterwood board, specifically the Abit IC7 or the Asus P4P800, but any Springdale or Canterwood knowledge would be appreciated.

The reason I ask is because I need to know which drive (the PATA drive or the SATA drive) is detected in the BIOS as the primary master. This will help answer some of my partitioning questions.

Please see this thread for more details.

I have raid 0 raptors and a PATA drive as backup. I have the PATA in the primary IDE slot and it is recognized as my primary IDE drive. But...I have selected my raid array as the priority boot order in the bios so my OS will boot to it first. If I remeber right...when I built this system I couldn't get it to post th efirst time with the SATA & PATA drives plugged in at the same time. I had to unplug the PATA to get it to boot for the firist time. But every time since thten I have had no problems with any conflicts.

krag - thankyouthankyouthankyou. This is my last roadblock to my upgrade.

Could you tell me which drive is C? I would think in your case this would be the PATA drive. Do your drive letters change when you switch the boot assignments in the BIOS?

I want to dual boot Win98 and WinXP on one PATA drive and one SATA drive, and Win98 has to go on C.

JKeefe said:
krag - thankyouthankyouthankyou. This is my last roadblock to my upgrade.

Could you tell me which drive is C? I would think in your case this would be the PATA drive. Do your drive letters change when you switch the boot assignments in the BIOS?

I want to dual boot Win98 and WinXP on one PATA drive and one SATA drive, and Win98 has to go on C.

No my raid array is C:/ but thats because on the first boot I had unplugged my IDE drive (pata) and because I selected it in the boot priority. I don't know if they change in the directory cause I have never tried to boot from my pata drive cause it has no os on it...but...I have thought about putting XP on it in case my array fails, cause that way my rig wouldn't have aby down time while get another SATA drive.

With my IC7-G it didn't matter what drive(s) i had attached to the IDE connector or the Silicon Image SATA connector, if there was a drive connected to the ICH5 SATA connector, that would show up as drive C: in the Windows XP installation screen. If i installed one drive on the ICH5 and one on the Silicon Image, the optical drives i had installed didn't show up on the POST screen, so i decided not to go ahead with that setup since i wasn't sure if the optical drives would be detected in Windows or not (kinda dumb now i realise, the DVD drive was being used to install windows in the first place). I currently have my 120gig WD installed on PATA (primary master, no slave) and my 40gig on the SiL SATA3 channel. When i pick up my P4-C i'll be changing this to use the ICH5 controller though, all the tests i've seen show it to be much more efficient.

Back