• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my mini review comparing the Zalman CNPS-7000CU against the SLK-900 (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozziegn

well, as usual, I was starting to get bored with my current setup so I decided to try the Zalman CNPS-7000 and compare it to the almighty SLK-900U and see how the two matched up.

okay, on with the pics...

first off, a few pics of what the packaging looks like (for those who care).

cnps7000_1.jpg

cnps7000_2.jpg

here you can see the sheer size of the CNPS-7000 compared to the SLK-900. (and I though the SLK-900 was huge.)

cnps7000_3.jpg

cnps7000_4.jpg

these are the two Zalman mounting rails that use the exsisting P4 mounting bracket.

cnps7000_5.jpg

and here she is all mounted up.

IC7_cnps7000.jpg

continued:

okay, I ran a 1 hour+ instance of Prime 95 on both setups and here's what I got:

SLK-900 *** idle

cpu_temptesting_slk900_idle.jpg

SLK-900 *** load

cpu_temptesting_slk900_load.jpg

CNPS-7000 *** idle

cpu_temptesting_cnps7000_idle.jpg

CNPS-7000 *** load

cpu_temptesting_cnps7000_load.jpg

as you can see, the CNPS-7000 has slightly better temps. now, that might seem like a big deal but remember that AS3 usually takes a few days to settle in before it really starts doing its stuff.

so far, so good with the Zalman. I'll get another temp reading in a few days and see if anything changes.

*a little while later*

I think this Zalman might be a good contender. I decided to start up a "dually" session of Prime 95 to where both of the virtual CPUs (P4 HT) are being stressed and here's what she's showing:

cpu_temptesting_cnps7000_load1.jpg

thats a good hour or so with 100% load under HT.

in that case ill get the zalman cause its dead silent and comes with a fan.. see how lovely the world is? :)

I have a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu and love it! I'm using it without the reostat and it's still quiet and never gets above 56C full load (running SETI all the time) on hot days. The SLK-900 will prolly be noisier with any fan, it's smaller footprint simply needs more airflow to perform the same as the Zalman. (the Zalman fan only spins 2700rpm at full speed)

I had a Zalman 7000 in my system and load temp ran between 65-66C, I replaced it w/ a SLK-900U w/ a Thermaltake A1357 fan, set fan speed at 4200 rpm & load temp dropped down to 56-57C.

*edit*

the SLK had a 92mm (66cfm) fan.

Last edited:
I think he means the slk

If I didn't have an MCX-4000 then I would get the zalmon

I wonder how easily one could fit in a faster fan on that thing

how is the fan attached?

Back