• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with SATA drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

I have an A7n8x dx mobo, asus ti4800 gpu, xp2800+ cpu w/slk 900 HS, and 120 gig seagate SATA drive. While my old eide drive will boot to Windows, it gets to a screen that gives some choices whether to start in safe mode, regular mode, and so on. I choose either one and it reboots. While my SATA drive with no OS on it yet, I can't even get my Windows to recognize it's hooked up and my connections are just fine. I'm having a helluva time just getting an OS on this machine. Can anyone please help?

Have you loaded the drivers for sata yet and if not do so. You can use your software to configure the drives also and 1st you must set it up to boot EIDE the copy the image of the EIDE with your drivers install onto your SATA and that might solve your issue but i am Only aware of the boot from scsi on your boot menu not SATA so i am not sure if it will work but in RAID 2xseagate sata it will boot into then only if you have the installed drivers for sata wich can be done when istalling the OS with a floppy as well as using an image on a third EIDE drive. With the software your drive came with. Its really not that hard but realize its for RAID and might not support boot from SATA. I would get your self another drive and run it like it was intended and trust me it moves and will put a single raptor to shame. Another thing is my agp/pci bus is at 75 so its overclocked as well

It is possible to boot Windows from SATA, however Windows XP and
previous OS versions ship with no SATA support. What I mean by this is
that it ships with only the regular ATA/ATAPI driver support. In order
for any SATA device to work with in box Windows drivers, it needs to
present itself as an ATA/ATAPI emulating controller which is defined in
the SATA spec. As long as it does this properly it will have the same
functionality as today's ATA/ATAPI controllers, including boot.

Additionally, non chipset SATA controllers that plug into PCI slots or
straight down onto the motherboard like the Silicon Image(r) controller
may have their own drivers and their ability to boot depends on if they
were designed for booting.

Looking at their webpage http://www.siimage.com/products/sii3112.asp, I
don't see any mention of booting. Perhaps there was a manual or a
readme file with the drivers that talks about it. Hope this helps."

Last edited:
you should have a got a little disk with the required SATA drivers on them....simply install these and windows should then recognise the drive.

If you are wanting to actually install windows onto the sata drive...with XP you have to look for where it says press F2 to install third party scsi drivers or something of the sort...then you stick in the sata driver disk and follow instructions. This will then allow windows to interface with the disk.

Thanks for the info guys. Finally after staying up all night I discovered on amdforums.com that you need to set "scsi" to boot instead of "hdd0" because the original BIOS my mobo came with recognizes the drive as a scsi. Ain't that a sumbich. That was the answer to all my problems. Just had to install the correct drivers so Windows would detect my HDD but had a time at first installing my drivers but it worked out great. I love my new system.

Back