• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike521

Hey all, just wondering where I should start to get worried..

I have an Athlon XP 2600+.. just wondering how high the temp should be permitted to go to, before an alarm sounds?

is 70 too hot? thats what my "winbond hardware monitor" is set to by default (came with my mobo)..

70 isn't too hot, but I wouldn't ever go above it.

Are you using AS3 or thermal compound?

whats AS3? I'm using arctic silver thermal compound

you're sure 70 celcius isn't too hot?

the reason I'm asking is cause I just installed a new liquid cooling system, the Thermaltake Aquarius II. I heard it didn't have the greatest performance, but I wanted a quiet pc, and figured this would be a good way to get into water cooling.

right now, surfing the web and chatting on AIM with a few background programs running, my temp is at 59.. its been steadily rising though, I don't know how hot it will get.
I'm worried that if I play Tribes 2, it'll fry..

I doubt it will go up to 70 though..

how do I know if the waterblock isn't seated properly? it seems perfectly ok to me.....

the pump is pumping, but slowly.. but its small so I didn't expect it to pump fast..

jeez I figured that even a crappy watercooling setup would keep my system less than 60!

edit: it seems to have leveled off at 61.50 celcius, over the past 5 minutes or so..

Well, you cant tell if your waterblock is mounted badly. All you need to do is take off the waterblock, make sure you have enough thermal paste(DONT GET IT ON THE WAFER!!) and tighten it down till its snug. I tighten mine so much that once, on my old mobo, I broke 1 of the white heatsink clips. I then made a clotheshanger clipping device and I tighten it even more. Also, If your looking into a new pump, I have a via-aqua 1300, and you can get them for about 20$. Very nice little pump, gets the water realy moving.

alright I will keep that in mind.

you mean I shouldn't get any thermal compound on the wafer at all, even after the block is placed? normally I cover the metal part in the middle, and then when it gets squished by the heatsink, some oozes out onto the wafer.. is that ok?

I guess I'll re-mount it and try to get it a bit tighter, but damn it was really hard to clip.. I dunno if I can do it tighter

Artic silver 3(as3) can short out a processor if it gets on the bridges. I lost a tbird 1333 to it. Also, how do you clip it on?

its got some kind of weird *** system..

there's a thing called a "center clip" that crosses over the center of the cpu

then there's two little arms that hook into the center clip, and reach down and hook over the plastic attachments in the cpu socket.. kind of something like this

I'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''I
I==center peice=====I
I-------CPU-----------I

what makes it really tight are two things:
first, the part that goes across the CPU is shaped to be bent upwards, so you really have to force those 'I' handles down

second, the 'I' handles have teeth, and can be attached to the center clip at different spots, so you can adjust the tightness that way. it was REALLY hard to force it down and clip it on....

edit: oh holy mother of god it took out all my spaces

ignore all of the '''''''' signs, imagine its just blank space

Seems odd. So you cant tighten it? You can buy another clip, but i wouldnt. You should just get a larger pump. Is yours generic?

do u have a fan pulling or pushing air through the radiator, the rad is small and needs help disapating heat.

ok I'll try that! yea there might be some air in it

nope I can't actually tighten it once its clipped. i have to adjust it first, then muscle the clip down over the socket hook.. I wish there was a picture on their website

yep I have a fan on the rad, it came with the setup.. I'll check it.. maybe I'll put another one on it, I have another 80 mm sitting in the case doing nothing

yea its a HUGE pain...

anyway I'm gonna shut down now and remount it, and try to get any air out.

temp is up to 64.50 and I haven't even played Tribes yet... this is ridiculous

Back