• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just received Nf7-S rev. 2.0 refurb from newegg. Some ????'s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smesx1

So i just got my rev 2 refurb from newegg and i need someone to give me the DL on some basic things to know about/worry about.

1. Bios 14 seems to be the best right???
2. Are there ever cold boot issues?
3. Should i put a hs on the southridge?
4. Is the stock fan on the nb good or should i put my vantec iceburq on there?
4. Im going to try the sata adapter and get another 40g wd and run a raid 0 array soon (next month or so) are there any sata issues?
5. Any thing else that i should know?

You dont have to answer these if you could point me towards a FAQ thread or something like that. Im hoping for some more stability and some higher fsb. DO you think i can overclock my 1700 even more with this? Thanks guys.

Sean

1. Yes, it is the best.
2. I haven't experienced any. I don't think anyone here has.
3. Just as a precaution.
4. That all depends on your FSB.
(4)5. No.
6. The only other thing I can tell you is that this is a very solid board with great features, I will say that you have chosen a great board.

Renumber your questions

THANKS Everythings done i still need to flash to bios 14 though.

Ill do a search real quick but ill ask it too:
I tried to plug my drive in with the ide to sata adapter and it didnt recognize it. Whats going on there?

smesx1 said:
THANKS Everythings done i still need to flash to bios 14 though.

Ill do a search real quick but ill ask it too:
I tried to plug my drive in with the ide to sata adapter and it didnt recognize it. Whats going on there?

After you install your SATA drivers make sure you have it "ENABLED" via. the BIOS settings, if it still doesn't see/recognize the HD as SATA drives make sure your HD's are ATA100 or better or they will NEVER work, and if they are and it STILL doesn't recognize your HD's then you may have to replace both the "Converter & Cable/Ribbons" with two new ones like I eventually did ;)

I used the HighPoint converters & Ribbon cables and my SATA runs just fine now :D

Good Luck! and Wise choice on your board!

DpGravy

Even if you stick with the stock NB fan that came with the board, you'll need to take it off and put a decent thermal compound on it. Abit only put a very small dab on the NB so it's importaint to fix this first if you want to do any overclocking.

Since you'll be taking it off anyway, you might as well put on that Vantek NB cooler and see if the stock NB cooler will fit on the SB.

I did put the iceburg on the nb with asIII and i tried to put the stock cooler on the sb but there is no place to connect its power because its cable is really small. I just put a small heatsink on with asIII and a few dabs of super glue.

I think AS sells a thermal compound glue just for that purpose.

I'll have to put a HS on my SB too now that it's getting hotter this summer. It's still not too hot to touch but I like to keep my Silicon as cool as possible.

You need a fan on the NB but just a finned heatsink is needed for the SB. Try to get one that has the mounting holes that match the mobo. I think I'll go with the Vantec Iceburg.

Last edited:
Just in case there is any confusion about which NB/SB cooling works efficiently. The following information can be found by CLICKING HERE this is the set I purchased for my NF7-S 2.0 & my NF7 2.0 North Bridge and it came with a passive Heat sink with thermal Tape for the South Bridge which I found works great as I keep both my boards in the upper 200FSB area and above in some cases when I’m OverClocking :D

But as usual, everyone has their own preferences, but I found this one to not only to be the "Cheapest" even though they “ARE” the very same NB cooler which comes stock with the NF7 boards and the only difference is they are made of "ALL COPPER" they seem to dissipate the heat rather nicely as well when combined with a small amount of Arctic Silver III.

But then again, this is just "MY" opinion ;)

Best of luck!

PS!! DO NOT USE THE CHEAP *** THERMAL COMPOUND THAT COMES IN THE LITTLE TUBE WITH THESE HEATSINKS!!
It's the "imitation" ACIII which can be found with so many Heatsinks on the market today! so Be warned!!! :eek:

DpGravy

Last edited:
LkyOldSun said:
What can I use to secure SB HS that's a tad less permament than superglue? Thanks.

I've read on these forums that some people suggest making a 50/50 ratio by weight of Arctic Silver III and Arctic Alumina Adhesive. The ASIII brings the adhesiveness down a bit just in case you ever wanted to remove the HS. I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds logical.

Audioaficionado said:
So what's that third tiny HS for? Soundstorm chip?

I want a SB HS with taller fin pins.

The Smallest passive heatsink fits the South Bridge perfect, while the next size up passive heatsink is about the size as a GPU/Video card that I cut into small pieces and attached to my “Mossfets” ;)

Actually, you don’t really need these heatsinks to have REALLY tall fins, because I have used an outside thermometer with probe to check the heat dissipation and my SB, and it has never gone above 23c when clocked @ 220 FSB and higher, but if bigger fins make your system look better, then I say what the hell! Go for it! :D

Good luck

DpGravy

Last edited:
LkyOldSun said:
What can I use to secure SB HS that's a tad less permament than superglue? Thanks.

The set I have mentioned above comes with "Double Side" sticky thermal tape on it to hold your passive heatsink in place, and yes it works fine for your South Bridge, mossfets, and anything you want to stick it too (heh) ;)

The Choice is yours, Choose Well!

DpGravy

Last edited:
I'd never use super glue as it's not as good a thermal conductor as the AS expoxy but it's just as permanant.

Back