• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Degradation in PCMark2002 results after OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yirkin

Hi everyone. I've started learning how to oc my computer and have had some interesting results.

P4 1.8
ASUS P4B MB
1G RAM
GeForce4 MX 420 Video Card (My GeForce3 died of old age)

I read on this Web Site about overclocking and after some experimenting, I found that my system seems stable when sped up from 1.8G to 2G. I achieved this result by boosting the FSB to 111 and setting the voltage at 1.775V.

I have been running several benchmarks with PCMark 2002 and 3DMark2001.

The results I get are interesting but quite confusing to me.

PCMark score:
CPU 4286 at 1.8 4619 at 2.0
Memory 2523 at 1.8 2212 at 2.0
Harddrive rating averaged about the same for both speeds.

The CPU is clearly boosted in speed after clocking up to 2.0G but it looks like I lost a lot of proformance from my memory at the higher speed.

The other thing I noticed was the 3DMark scores were higher at 1.8G then they were at 2.0G speed. 3616 as opposed to 3508. I ran the test several times at both speeds.

It is great to have a CPU running faster but with a low end video card that I am stuck with for now, it is important for me to squeeze as much as I can out of it.

I would appriciate it if someone would explaine to me what's going on with the memory and vidio card ratings after overclocking, or direct me to a posted answer if I missed it somewhere.

Thank you,

Howard

Are your memory settings on auto? The Asus BIOS could be turning down your mem ratio from 1:1 to 4:5 without telling you after you increase the FSB.

I'm not a real expert on the subject but the only other way I know to drop memory performance is with longer latency (like setting 2-3-3-6 to 2.5-4-4-7). Again, the Asus BIOS may be doing this for you autmatically when you up the FSB because it thinks your memory can't run faster. Its probably wrong, so override it and keep the mem ratio at 1:1.

I have a new P4C800 and memory speed is a big problem with its high-speed FSB. My Corsair PC3700 can only run a little over 200Mhz. And since I want to run my FSB at 280MHz, I have to use either 4:5 or even 2:3. I doubt that will be the case for you, but if it is, consider buying faster memory.

I did have the memory on AUTO. I will try changing it to 1:1 and see what that does. Thanks for responding.

Back