• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to get what to get....help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eightywpm

Registered
i'm planning on getting a amd 3000 xp barton Using only air to cool what would be my best option considering that I have an asus a7n8x deluxe which means capacitors RIGHT next to the damn cpu. anywhoo..people are telling me volcano and others are saying slk 800 u or a..if i do get this slk800 u or a what kind of fan should i use?

I had a SLK-800a with a 92mm Tornado on my A7N8X Deluxe...didn't want to try a SLK-900 since the CPU socket and PSU sit so close...and even using a 800 w/92mm fan was a close fit...

If you don't care about noise then a 92mm torndao on a slk-800 is great for it...if you do care about noise then a slk-800 with a Tt2 fan would be better for you...

out of curiousity does it matter what type of thermal paste is used? i see a LOT of different types out there dont really quite know what they mean by the way thanks glock19 for answering.

If you ask anyone around here, the generalized answer is going to be Artic Silver 3. Thats what i would recommend, however, if you are going to use the white silicone based stuff, there is a negligeble difference between all the "white" thermal compounds. I would say spend the 6-8 bucks on a tube of AS3, you can't go wrong.

eightywpm said:
out of curiousity does it matter what type of thermal paste is used? i see a LOT of different types out there dont really quite know what they mean by the way thanks glock19 for answering.

Actually yes it does...the generic thermal paste tends to bake when OCing and does not have a good thermal heat transfer...it is mainly just used for non overclocked systems...AS3 will give better heat transfer from the CPU die to the HS and has a higher thermal heat resistance so it will not bake when OCing...this also helps the CPU run cooler when OCed...

Last edited:
It looks like for you situation since you can't do through the motherboard mounting that a Swiftech MCX-370 would work well.

Thank You,
Daniel

i was told that the slk800 a did not need a through the mobo mounting.. please verify someone

Regarding thermal pastes, Arctic Silver 3 is very popular.. as previously stated.

Two other quite popular brands are Shin Etsu (which is supposed to be really good according to some tests) and then also the new Arctic Ceramique should be pretty good.

Won't make such a big difference between those anyways..so you might as well stick with AS3 .. ;)

james.miller said:
golck - the 900 sits at 90 degrees to the 800a - so it wouldn't have been a problem.

I wasn't sure...was told it would and wouldn't fit...so instead of trial by error and costing more to RMA it incase it didn't...I just went ahead and got a SLK-800a because I knew that would fit on it...

My other main thing is...I am always getting into my system...taking the HS off...so taking out the MB everytime was not a option that I liked...but that is also me :D

And that's glock ;)

Back