• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
I would like to do some OC to my XP 2400. Are they good OC? Also what software do you recommend getting to do so? I have done a little in my FSB. But i couldn't get it to go up past 140 FSB x 2 DDR. (wouldn't post) what could be the limitor on this? I have kingstone PC 2700 RAM, the rest is in my sig.

Thanks!

Do not use a windows based software program to overclock...always use the BIOS options...and did you mean the KT3V board?

Now have you upped the core voltage when trying past 140FSB...because it sounds like you need to up the core voltage actually...

yeah thats my board. No haven't increased core yet. Just FSB, i can get it stable at 139. but thats it. Is there something in the bios thats limiting it, or do i need to start increasing Voltage along with FSB?

you will need to increase the core voltage when you start to run into stability issues...that CPU should be able to get up to 2.1 - 2.2 without too much problems...so up the core voltage by .25v's and see if that helps at 140FSB+...

thanks, at 140 FSB, it makes the CPU at 2.125, now when you up voltage does it actual show an increase in Mhz or just allow you to increase the FSB more?

Also is there anything in the BIOS you need to disable or change, like limitors ect?

Ok...well if upping the core voltage does not help...then you might be at your CPU's limit on Mhz...most get between 2.1-2.2...also remember to watch your temps...I see that you are running a SLK-800...so temps should not be too much of an issue, but always keep your eye on them just in case...

Now, have you tried lowering the multipler and upping the FSB...what this does is still OC's the CPU but also leaves more room to OC the memory......try running it at 13x166 (2150) and add .25 -.50 more volts to the CPU...the 2400 should be unlocked...if it will not let you change the CPU multiplier and you do not have the latest BIOS for that MB...try flashing to the latest BIOS...this should inturn make the CPU unlocked

but if the CPU multiplier is not highlighted, then it might have a locked CPU mulitipler (some MSI's do have locked CPU multi. in the BIOS)...

You don't really use software to overclock. What you need to do is unlock the multiplier on your chip. That is done be closing of some L3 bridges. There are whole articles writen on that so read up on them. It is not to hard but you need to be careful. Once the multiplier is unlocked you can overclock only the CPU. To get higher you will need to increase the CPU core voltage. But the reason you can't get the FSB any higher could be as simple as one of your PCI cards, maybe sound card, can not handle it. Maybe even the video card will not work with the higher FSB.

Thank You,
Daniel

ok this is what is in my BIOS
The CPU in unlocked

FSB Freq
CPU Core
CPU ratio
DDR Voltage
AGP Voltage
Termination Voltage

You said to try 13x166 and up the FSB

Well the only place i see any thing like that is under CPU core, nothing really says multiplier.

What is the default voltage on a 2400 1.65v?

I have onboard sound, and ti4200 agp card and a networking card that is PCI, nothing else in the PCI slots.

I do have access to core voltages so i believe my CPU is unlocked

Back