• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Tip!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdperson

First things first, ask yourselves this question

Where do you place your tower, On a desk Or the floor?

I asking this coz if your tower is on the floor it will be getting cooler air as the air is coldest nearest the ground. Now if you have your tower on a desk, its will be using warmer air as heat rises.

I'm not saying this will improve your temps but is does make sense. My tower is on the floor and my system temp at full load is just 23°C.

My cpu is at 40°C at full load and my mobo is at 26°C full load.

I got this buy using a stock HFS on my Athlon 2000+, as well as 3 fans (1 extractor, 2 Intractors).

So what do you think about this?

I suppose but you have air flowing around on the floor most of the time. how? well the little gap underneath you bedroom door allows air into the room. so if there is air flowing on the floor dust shouldnt be too much of a problem. My pc sit on tiles, not even a carpet and 9x out of 10 tiles are dirtier.

Yea i had mine on the flood, under my desk. Being in such a small space(about 5x4 feet) the fans would suck in hot air that had just been expelled from my case. So I moved my case ontop of my desk where it now runs about 5-10c cooler than it would of on the floor under my desk. But do whatever works best for you:)

stryder2720 said:
Yea i had mine on the flood, under my desk. Being in such a small space(about 5x4 feet) the fans would suck in hot air that had just been expelled from my case. So I moved my case ontop of my desk where it now runs about 5-10c cooler than it would of on the floor under my desk. But do whatever works best for you:)

Was going to say the same thing. A lot depends on the design of the desk and whether it's in a corner of the room etc. Under the desk traps the air pretty badly for me.

i dont see much of a difference occuring-and abut the gravity thing, ya make sure its secure and that its not near an edge and that you dont have lil kids running around and such.

I put mine on the floor with a 1" thick piece of wood undernear each foot of my tower to allow maximum air flow. You can also purchase a little screen or if you want to go all out put filters inside where the air comes in. Personally I just use a fine screen outside the case to stop most of the dust entering in.

another bonus to the floor is that it is that much further away from your ears. the comp sounds so much quieter when it is about 4 feet away from you.

iD10t said:
another bonus to the floor is that it is that much further away from your ears. the comp sounds so much quieter when it is about 4 feet away from you.

Very true. My tower is about 4 feet from my ears and is a lot less noticable than if it had been on the desk.

Now for some really good cooling I open my window in the middle of winter when it is around 0 F outside and put my window fan in. My system temps can get down into the 50's. You could also put it by an A/C vent.

Thank You,
Daniel

Mine is on the desk. When it was on the floor, to much dust was getting in the comp. I'm going to watercooling soon, so noise isn't really an issue.

Yeah, I think when I build my rig, I'll put it on the floor. Plus all of the LEDs and cold cathodes shining in my face wouldn't be too fun. Oh, and to somewhat solve the dust problem, use fan filters...it'll trap a lot of dust, but make sure you clean them out every one and a while.

I have my rig on the edge of my desk right next to a window on a second story apartment....load temp is 41C.....livng in Cali an earthquake could hit any minute....i'm gonna try my luck on the floor

Back