• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Tornado very loud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steph_gsxr

Registered
I just installed my SLK-800u with a 80m Vantec Tornado fan
on my MB. This fan is freagin LOUD. Everybody in my house is complaining cause of the noise. It does a great job keeping my CPU cool on the other hand.

Would I be better off switching to another fan ( maybe a Thermaltake smart case fan II ) for less noise ? I also heard I can mod my fan to run at a slower speed. Any suggestions ?

You could either get a new fan that is quieter but doesn't create as much airflow, or you could try a 7volt mod with that fan.

If I can find a link to a guide on the 7v mod I will link you here. :)

IMOG said:
If I can find a link to a guide on the 7v mod I will link you here. :)
No link neccesary:

Take the black wire (ground) running from the fan, remove it from the molex connector where it is making contact with a black wire from the PSU, and reconnect it so it is making contact with a red wire. you now have a 7V fan.

For a 5V fan, reconnect the red wire from the fan from the yellow molex wire to the red molex wire, and leave the black fan wire where it is originally.

Thanks for the info.

Since I just bought it 2 days ago, I might return it for another fan which makes less noise. Still not sure if I want to give up this one yet because of it's performance.

Sidewindercomputers.com may not have the best selection of fans but there is a fan library where you could hear the fans that you are interested in buying. Thats where I got my fan, a sunon. Hope that helps a bit.

I have a powerful 80mm Sunon fan(the same type as those used on Britney HSFs), and it's very loud(even louder than the Delta in my old PSU).

star882 said:
I have a powerful 80mm Sunon fan(the same type as those used on Britney HSFs), and it's very loud(even louder than the Delta in my old PSU).

The vantec tornado is actually Sunon, so it is probably the fan you are talking about.

steph_gsxr said:
Thanks for the info.

Since I just bought it 2 days ago, I might return it for another fan which makes less noise. Still not sure if I want to give up this one yet because of it's performance.

Most of the places I've seen won't take returns on it since it's so loud. I've got basicly the same thing but two of them! Found a good deal ($5 a each), they are hooked up to my nexus so they don't bother me at all.

I have a tornado as well, using it as my case fan. got it running through the baybus so its usually running at 3000rpm and when i want to **** peolpe off at lans, i turn it up to the full 5500.

I got the tornado also, but the xaser edition ... it has speed controllers on it. One speed controller's automatic, speeds up the fan as the cpu temp increases, and the other one's manual, controlled by a knob that sticks out of one of your PCI faces. Does yours go full power only?

orange400 said:
I got the tornado also, but the xaser edition ... it has speed controllers on it. One speed controller's automatic, speeds up the fan as the cpu temp increases, and the other one's manual, controlled by a knob that sticks out of one of your PCI faces. Does yours go full power only?

I think you mean the Smart Fan II.

IMHO I would keep the tornado and get an adjuster. I think that the greater pressure created by the fan and the more direct airflow, due to the vanes, will beat a fan of equal CFM and noise

Yeah, just use a variable speed switch for the fan. I adjust my volcanos so that I can just barely hear them 3 blocks away and all is good!:D

Back