• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tualatin Celeron HSF combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camb03

Registered
Can you guys suggest among the best HSF combo for Tualatin Celeron Socket 370?

being reasonable the AX-7 is good just use a nice 60 mm fan with decent flow(or 80 if it accepts one-i dont know) SK-7 isnt bad either and neither is the SK-6. Look around in your price range and see what you find. Any ahtelon cooler will do a more than adaquate job of cooling your celeron at 133fsb+

Breez has it right... his is the best. It's some serious overkill, though. I'd just buy the SK-6+ from newegg.com for $12.99 and a basic 60mm fan. So that will be a total of $20-25.
The SLK-800 will take an 80mm fan, which will allow more aiflow at lower noise levels, but then we're talking more like $45. And that SLK-900-U will cost $47 for the heatsink alone.
The upside to the SLK-800-U and SLK-900-U is that these will work for a pentium 4 if you decide to upgrade in the future. And air cooling simply can't get much better than with these heatsinks. Also, these should work with clawhammer cpu's, and they will work with Athlons, too.
That SK-6+ and many other heatsinks now on the market will only work with athlons and P3's/socket370 celerons.

Well after reading on the Sk-6 I can tell it's a winner. Will this puppy make a real difference to hit 133FSB on a Tualatin Celeron 1.2 on the TUSL-2, or will the stock hsf fan do just fine and it's more about having luck with the processor you get?

After looking at the database it seems like the chances of hitting 133FSB with the 1.2 are not so great as with the 1.1.

Last edited:
Well, it does depend on the CPU, but a good heatsink can make at least 100mhz difference. And yeah, you're more likely to hit 133fsb with a 1.1 than with a 1.2, but your odds aren't too bad either way.
The fact that you are checking out these products BEFORE buying is a good thing. A lot of people buy first and ask questions later.

I haven't had any problems with either the tA1 or tB1 1.2 Celerons running at 140fsb. Some require a lot higher vcore setting than others. The tB1 will run pretty high fsb, I ran my at 150fsb with pc150 ram but the 3d scores were lower.

Is there a preference in S specification, ta1, ta2, for overclocking?
Which fan can you recommend, and at how many RPM's for SK-6? For what I read the Delta is the best cooling but too noisy. I rather have something without that higher pitch.

I have lower temps with this fan tha TTSF2.
http://www.nexfan.com/ev70x70x25fa.html

The Tualatin tB1 stepping is the best to overclock, they require less voltage than the older processors. Look for processors with the codes SL6RP or SL6JS. The SL6C8 is a tB1 but I had one that was a bad overclocker. The highest it would run stable was 1680 at 1.80V. It ran good at 133fsb at 1.65V which is high for a tB1. I'm running a SL6RP that runs stable at 150FSB but 3D performance is slower. I tried a tA1 1.3 but it wasn't stable at 133fsb, even at 1.80V. I'm looking for a tB1 1.3 but I can't find anyone that will guarantee the stepping. I'm going to hit some of the local places this week.

Alright thanks for the info. I was looking at the SK-7 and it says it's for Socket A. What mobo are you running the Tualatin on?
Will any of these 2 fit on the TUSL2-C(SK-6+,SK7)?
Does the SK-6+ comes with the fan hood to use a 70mm fan or do you have to purchase that too?

Last edited:
either of those should work, but might I recommend the coolermaster X-dream it is better than the sk6+ for sure, and is on par with the Sk-7, it is only $15 or so @ http://www.directron.com/hacv81.html it has an adjustable 80mm fan on it to boot, it is the best for anything under $30. I dunno why these guys didnt reccomend it, but i'm sure they would aggree that it is a very good HSF.

Here is one of 15 reviews I found on it, all conclusions were positive. http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-128-1.htm?reviewer_id=45

Last edited:
Yeah, why wasn't it recommended?
I like the fact that you can adjust the fan. 464grams vs 382 grams on the SK-6+.
Price comes out to the same.
Is this better or what?

Well, after looking around and reading reviews, some of which put the CPU temperature at less than the case temperature, (which is impossible,) I found a few that were reasonable. The C/W of this thing is about 0.44.
The C/W of the SK-6+ is 0.28.
For an overclocked p3 running at about 35-40W, the coolermaster will be about 15-18C ABOVE the case temperature.
The Thermalrigh will be about 10-12C above the case temperature. This assumes the fan is a Delta, with about 50db of noise. Judging from the review, a quiet 30db fan will give about 0.44 C/W with the SK-6+.
You'll need 46db to get that out of the coolermaster.

That's a lot louder. If you sleep in the same room as your computer, you NEED quiet fans.

"The Thermalrigh will be about 10-12C above the case temperature. This assumes the fan is a Delta, with about 50db of noise."
"You'll need 46db to get that out of the coolermaster. That's a lot louder."
Which one is louder?
Aren't them both about the same? The question is which one will produce better cooling with a tolerable noise level?
For what I read the Delta fan is intolerable.

camb03 said:
"The Thermalrigh will be about 10-12C above the case temperature. This assumes the fan is a Delta, with about 50db of noise."
"You'll need 46db to get that out of the coolermaster. That's a lot louder."
Which one is louder?
Aren't them both about the same? The question is which one will produce better cooling with a tolerable noise level?
For what I read the Delta fan is intolerable.

No, what I'm saying is that you need 46db on the coolermaster to get the same cooling that you would get on the Sk-6+ with a fan at about 30db.
Simply put, you DO have to buy a fan along with the SK-6+, but it doesn't have to be noisy for high performance. With that coolermaster, you need a noisy fan to get reasonable performance.

Actually, it's pretty good. They tell the test setup, as well as the ambient temperature. The problem is they didn't post the specs for the fan on the SK-6. I looked it up. This is only a 26cfm fan.
The coolermaster fan starts at 31cfm, and tops out at 63cfm.

I have to admit, though, it may be hard to find faster fans for this that aren't too noisy. The coolermaster heatsink has the advantage of taking 80mm fans, which can deliver a lot more airflow at low noise.

I also have to admit that the coolermaster heatsink is pretty darn good for it's price. In fact, that fan has some awesome specs. If I didn't already have water cooling, I might buy that, scrap the heatsink, and put the fan on a better heatsink!

Taking another look at it, I would say that this coolermaster heatsink will be plenty for working with a tualatin celeron. If you leave it on overnight, though, you'll probably want to turn the fan down every night.

Back