• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB Heat sink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No because the plastic pins helping to keep the 'sink on require you to pinch them from behind the board. So remove the pins then place the board in the freezer (inside an anti-static bag) for about 10 minutes. You can now do one of two things.

1) Take a credit card or other slim object and wedge it under the 'sink then pop it off by using the AGP slot as a fulcrum (this is what I did)

2) Twist the 'sink in the hopes that the TIM is brittle enough that it will just come off.

~THT

You can also purchase artic silver thermal epoxy. But be warned, once you glue it, you'll probably never be able to remove it again.

Than what will hold it on?

Just make sure you don't destroy the pins when you remove them, apply AS3, and reuse the pins. Or if you change out the original HS for a different type, Crystal Orb, Vantec Iceberg, ect, they often come with extra pins as well.
elec.tron

The Heat sink that i am going to use is off an old 1GHZ Gateway the dieded on a freind of mime ( I think was the board but the HS still works) It dosent have and clips but i will see if i can get any Thermal Epoxy, is anything else that would work in combantion with regular AS3?

EDIT: Spelling

You can go to the hardware store and buy normal epoxy and mix it with AS3. Not too sure what ratio of epoxy to AS3 you should use though. I would think 1:1 or 1:2 would be ok. The more AS3 you use, the better the heat transfer will be, but the junction will be weaker.

Another thing that comes to mind is since i've already RMA'd 2 of these boards (bios death, defective floppy controller), I wasn't about to do anything permanent that would prevent me from being able to send back this one. Thats doesn't seem to be an issue now as it's been working fine for awhile now, but what I did was spend $8 on a TT Crystal Orb (AS3) that exactly fits the 2 mounting holes in the MB, and use the dreaded thermal tape on a passive HS for the SB. If your A7N8XD has been problem free for some time then go to town with the epoxy, otherwise maybe think about protecting your investment with a less permanent solution.
Just my $.02 worth
elec.tron

another idea i've seen tossed around is applying dabs of the thermal epoxy in the corners of the chip, and as3 everywhere else, resulting in better transfer and removability.

I've used AS3 for the core except for 2 corners and used super glue to atach the hs onto the core. You should have AS3 on almost the whole core but for the corners, enough space for a tiny drop of super glue.

Back