• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Vapo to TEC... how's this look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neptune

Okay well my Vapochill has been going out on me over the past few months and I'm finally ready to cast it aside (maybe I could sell it - its functional, but needs service... anyone think I might get anything out of it?)

Honestly, i'm really strapped for cash right now and I can't bring myself to spend $500 on another Pre-fab phase change system so I'm thinking for around $250 I can set up a really nice H20 TEC system. The system I'll be running is a P4, so a TEC ought to work fine... tell me what you think of this setup and offer any suggestions.

-Maze4 water block and cold plate
-226w TEC
-Power supply for TEC
-Black ICE Extreme Radiator
-5.25" Bay Resevoir (not necessary but I have one in my Athlon setup and it owns with some UV Dye :) )

And of course the usual, good pump, clamps, hoses, etc.

The motherboard and everything will be well insulated, In fact, I'll probably use most of the stuff from the Vapochill, and just add some conformal coating where I see fit.

I figure this setup will cool better than my Vapochill (it only handled 130w)... any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Idea:

Try to find a refrigerated water bath on ebay. I got mine (its a hakke) for $50- barely more than a radiator. It about the same size as a yy cube case, so they will fit together in one unit.

As for performance, I have not done anything too scientific, but it kept water at freezing point with two 40w soldering irons submerged, im sure it would have been capable of more.

Problem with TEC is dealing wiht the psu- and the fact that if it fails, you are foobared. If a chiller fails, nothings gonna fry.

If you do decide on the TEC setup, dont do the black ice extreme rad, just get a heatercore- they are usually much better in performance.

I'll look into your suggestions, the Reason I'm looking at the BI extreme is because of its 120mm footprint. I already have a 120mm blowhole atop of my Lian Li case (in the center) so I'd like to have a radiator that matches it well. Any heater core suggestions?

Thx

I am using a 76 chevette heatercore as one of my rads and I'm getting pretty good temps. Just jbweld the barbs in and your set. Kinda fun:)

I'll be using just the H20 for a bit until I scrounge up more money for the TEC and the Meanwell PSU ( $120 :( ) I ended up ordering a heatercore, resevoir, and the Maze4 kit with coldplate. I'd really like the WW, but the Maze4 has the prefab setup for the coldplate and all, not to mention its pretty affordable.

In the past I've just gone to the local fish store to buy pumps and I've never had a problem, other than they are noisier than an Eheim. Have any of you used the Hydor pumps? I'm considering the L30.

I'll have to second to nealric, forget BI products for 225W tec cooling. I have heard at first hand from a guy who tried it. He could barely keep the cpu below ambient with that setup. If you use BI, get two of 'em. But, at that cost you'd still be much much better off with a heatercore.

Secondly I have no doubts in recommending Hydor pumps. Only problem I've had was getting all air out of it. An Eheim might be a tad more quiet though. I myself got two Hydors. I'm aiming for dual 225 TECs... just need to get my switched mode PS ready... *sigh* never enough time...

Well I ordered the heatercore, waterblock, cold plate, resevoir, and a relay I'll be using for the TEC PSU. Everything should be here by Friday or next Monday so I should have the H20 Going. Then when I get some more cash, I'll get the Meanwell 320, the TEC, and some more neopreme. I'm going to try to pick up the pump today as well.

So if all goes well, I should be posting some pics in the near future. :)

Back