• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

somebody please explain me how do peltiers work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kino

im fairly new to this overclocking thingy..(like 2 or 3 months..) and i can understand how air cooling, LN2 cooling and watercooling work.. but i still have no idea how a peltier works?
anyone wanna share some widsom?

All right

Although i suggest you read the stickies, research yourself, and try this helpful site: www.google.com :D i will explain.

Peltier utilizes-what else- the peltioer effect. It removes all the heat from one side of the element and puts it to the other side. IN efect one side will get nice and frosty while the other will get VERY hot. if you cool the hot side effectively you will continue to get very good temperatures on the cold side.

This in effect can chill your processor.

I think he means more like "what is inside a peltier, and HOW does it work"
I'm going to look into it, but if anyone has info or links on this, I'd be curious to find out also.

oh... thanks guys for your help
btw sorry about not gogglin it i was about to fall asleep on my kb last night and i was not thinking very well :D

btw.... peltiers look alot cheaper than WC setups... why do most ppl still use water?
or is it you HAVE to use a waterblock and NOTHING ELSE to cool that pelt down?

because of heat produced by the thermo electric conductor (pelter) air wont hack it so you have to use water because a pelter can get lower temps then water alone you use water to cool the pelter cause water if the next best thing :) if that makes sence

MCX4000 + TEC

The MCX4000 will probably give you just about subambient with a 225W TEC if you don't overclock. If you start to overclock it will go above ambient rather fast.

Not exactly what you expect with TEC huh?
Also note that very warm air will fill your case pretty soon!
I don't kwon exactly how warm, but something like 50+ C !!
I remember in my old days of TECing a C300, the heatsink was about 55 C warm!

Well, thing is AIR has never been able to harness a high power TEC. If you really want to reap benefits of a high power TEC aim for high end watercooling aswell.

Back