• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my BIOS mess up, Plz HELPPPPPPPP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

hi guys,

I have NF7-S v2.0 all running great ..until I change my BIOS setting then right b4 the RED LINE pop up abt saving BIOS setting I accidentally knock off the power cord :(((

now I cannot boot up anymore :((

I have tried those methods in the manual
like press and hold INSERT until ON but no go
Discharge the cmos w/ 2-3 Jumper NO GO
DIsconnected ATXpower connect from the mainboard about 30mins still NO GO

now how would I troubleshoot this guysssssssssss ?

thanx

Sounds like you killed the BIos. I would contact Abit and see if they could get another one out to you. When I fried my MSI board BIOs they sent me one out in 2 days and good thing was it came with the new bios flash and free.

If that doesnt turn into an option I have heard of the BIOS recovery that is meant for Abit. problem is it costs 20 bucks. So try to contact Abit chances are they should be able to give you one.

I have taken a bios chip from an identical board and put it in mine to start it up, then i swapped mine in while it was at a dos prompt then i started the bios flashing program. This worked for me. I have not tried this on any abit boards, however. Be careful taking the chip out while it is on, however. You do not want to kill the other bios chip too.

I think thats what the BIOS recovery kit is basically. For 20 bucks you probably get a BIOS chip , somekind of bios chip extractor and manual.

Yeah, they sell them at excaliberpc. I think it's around $20 like you said.

I want to know what you were doing that made you knock the power cord off?

It was during a reboot of the BIOS and I can't think of who/what/when/where or why you would even think about touching the computer during such an important save feature.

Try seeing if booting from a floppy works, it's one of u only hopes really!

kevinN said:
hi guys,

I have NF7-S v2.0 all running great ..until I change my BIOS setting then right b4 the RED LINE pop up abt saving BIOS setting I accidentally knock off the power cord :(((

now I cannot boot up anymore :((

I have tried those methods in the manual
like press and hold INSERT until ON but no go
Discharge the cmos w/ 2-3 Jumper NO GO
DIsconnected ATXpower connect from the mainboard about 30mins still NO GO

now how would I troubleshoot this guysssssssssss ?

thanx

There is only one way your going to fix this one man :rolleyes: go to excaliber.com and oreder the BIOS chip, turn off ALL power pop out the old chip, pop in the new chip, and like BGPatterson said, once your at the DOS prompt make the switch and Re-flash the old chip with the new BIOS rev. 1.4 then all should be great! ;)

Best of luck!

DpGravy

Re: Re: my BIOS mess up, Plz HELPPPPPPPP

DiaperGravy said:

There is only one way your going to fix this one man :rolleyes: go to excaliber.com and oreder the BIOS chip, turn off ALL power pop out the old chip, pop in the new chip, and like BGPatterson said, once your at the DOS prompt make the switch and Re-flash the old chip with the new BIOS rev. 1.4 then all should be great! ;)

Best of luck!

DpGravy

So Abit wont send you another BIOS chip?? and the only option is to spend 20 bucks on a some kit thats basically another BIOS chip???

Re: Re: Re: my BIOS mess up, Plz HELPPPPPPPP

trdsw20 said:

So Abit wont send you another BIOS chip?? and the only option is to spend 20 bucks on a some kit thats basically another BIOS chip???

Not for free they won't. It wasn't anything they did wrong. When you save a new bios setting, fold your hands to keep 'em away from the computer and hope your UPS works in case there's a power failure.

Re: Re: Re: my BIOS mess up, Plz HELPPPPPPPP

trdsw20 said:

Well, I guess you could send it back to ABIT to have it reprogrammed,(Shipping and handling$$$) but the only problem with this is, you will have to pay money to have it reprogrammed, this will cost you a $25.00 service FEE no matter what, ABIT automatically charges you when its beyond the "warranty" :rolleyes:, you see? :)

So I say, TO HELL with that noise (hehe) just go to excaliber.com and get yourself a new chip and have a back-up just in case this ever Happens again :D

And Noooo Abit will not just send you a "new" chip for nothing, but if they do, please let me know because I have a lot of things I would like them to replace that I have (Ahem) screwed up! LOL

Good Luck!

DpGravy

BTW don't flash while you're overclocked. Take it back to stock fsb first. It woudn't hurt to reset the CMOS before and after the flash.

The Blazer said:
BTW, if you were just saving BIOS setting, simply flush CMOS with the little jumper...

If you were flashing the bios, you DO have a problem !

Flashing or just saving BIOS setting I think would end up the same result as BIOS corrupted due to power off premature. I never encounter such BIOS settings like this ABIT board.
I did not flash new BIOS just simple changed from 208fsb down to 200fsb then power down right before the RED message pop up .
Anyhow, I have ordered the BIOS SAVIOR kit, just the dang ups ground $5 took so long to get here and they charge too much for any other faster shipping options.

One more thing i'm not sure about is that ..

when I swap in the new chip and power up then change the old chip back in, right ? would this cause any harm or should i have take any precaution at this step at all ? And then as soon as I dont swaping the old chip back in I flash w/ the lastest BIOS ( version 1.4, since iam using the V2.0 board) and iam back to normal right ?

thnx guys

Abra_Volta said:
I want to know what you were doing that made you knock the power cord off?

It was during a reboot of the BIOS and I can't think of who/what/when/where or why you would even think about touching the computer during such an important save feature.

Well, I was so excited that I got the 1700 DLT3C stepping on that afternoon so I change my BIOS setting as quick as possible and as soon as I press the SAVE NEW BIOS SETTING, I reached out for the ON/OFF and BOOOM. I just realized at that moment I did make a terrible mistake !!!

I guess some of us have to learn the hard way.

ADDEd: **knock off the power cord, just a way of saying to hide my stupidity .. :)

I've corrupt my CMOS (not my BIOS) many time while overclocking my processor (froze on or before the red message), simply reseting it with the jumper fixed it everytime. I don't see how he could have corrupt the BIOS so easily, heck, I don't even think it's saved on the same chip ! Think about it, the battery is ONLY for the CMOS, not the BIOS itself !

So, kevinN did you try to flush the CMOS with the jumper ?

According to Abit & Nvidia, this has been a problem with Nforce2 mobos in general. If you changed any settings in your BIOS and are in the process of saving it while you lose power, your CMOS bios data is hosed and you'll need to reflash. Unfortuneatly you now can't even post to reflash.

To rescue yourself, you'll need to pull the corrupted CMOS and replace it with the backup. Once you've either booted all the way into windows or just boot into basic flashing DOS with a floppy, you'll have to carefully hot swap the corrupted CMOS back in and reflash it.

They recommend you never try to udate flash your rescue CMOS but just use in emergencies only.

I hope never to have to use mine. So far so good :D

I was offered a rescue BIOS kit when I bought my NF7-S v2.0. So for an extra $15 I don't have to worry about power grid issues or my own stupidity.

I'm too lazy to test it out on my own rig but if someone else braver than I wants to give it a whirl, by all means see if the 1.4 BIOS fixed the issue.

I am just a newbee, but in my endless research, I found this:

Important: If the board shuts down after changing the FSB in the BIOS and does not start up again, it does not help to clear the CMOS. The workaround is to disconnect the power from the wall outlet, press the power button to discharge all capacitors, reconnect the system while holding down the "Insert Key" on the keyboard and then power up (still holding down the Insert Key). Following this "First Aid" procedure will force the board to POST in safe mode, that is, at 100 MHz FSB which allows to change the FSB setting to workable values.

ABit's website features frequent BIOS updates.

: that I pulled from mushkin website. Maybe it will help someone, as I had seen the cmos jumper thing, and the pull the cmos batt., and this just looked different, so I bookmarked it for further use.

EDIT: hey, I got my 1st star, cool!:D

Last edited:
Back