• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a 1U Heatsink in a Desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ffats

Anyone think/have experience using a 1U Heatsink (I'm primarily thinking P4 sink) in a desktop, and how it would perform?

I was brainstorming of using a Vantec CopperX 1U heatsink on my regular P4 desktop processor (1.8ghz). The only reason I think this may not work or perform well is the tight quarters of the 1U rack servers allows very good airflow from intake/outtake fans....

Ideas? Comments?

As long as you have a fan with high CFM's, it should do okay. But given the low surface cooling of a 1U copper sink, I wouldn't use a 1U heatsink for oc'ing.

But for normal use, you should be okay, as long as you keep CFM's high. The 1U servers we have in our rack really scream at us, and I take it that must be the fans really doing overtime.

Cheers, Flix

the 1 U heatsink would be a good option if you doing a SFF PC, but as for cooling i really dont think that it would be all that appropriate, they are small and like flixotide said they are airflow dependent.
Just my $0.02;)

I used Thermaltake's A1240 P4 1U skived-fin copper heatsink on my 1.6A P4. It easily got to 2.24, but the fan is rather loud!.

It performed pretty well, but was temporary as I made it into a thin-fin waterblock ;)

Ffats said:
Anyone think/have experience using a 1U Heatsink (I'm primarily thinking P4 sink) in a desktop, and how it would perform?

I was brainstorming of using a Vantec CopperX 1U heatsink on my regular P4 desktop processor (1.8ghz). The only reason I think this may not work or perform well is the tight quarters of the 1U rack servers allows very good airflow from intake/outtake fans....

Ideas? Comments?

The only reason for using a 1U heatsink is actualy pressing space constraints!

1U heatsinks are so small that their cooling prowess is very limited and not satisfactory for desktop use.

The Heatsink ranking shows the 1U solutions dead last... with a big margin.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

Performance can not really be improved much with faster fans (bigger means you lose space, so that would be wholly pointless)- take a look at this 1U review:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles732/

the fan spins at 7800RPM already!

In sum, you'd have a really noisy and poorly performing HSF, that takes up little space (its only bonus).

MOD the Rack and get a Volcano on that thing ;)

I am just waiting for some racks to go through some places I frequent so i can do some rack MODs :D

Back