• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible to fit better fan on Intel supplied P4 HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

V8gent

Registered
I'm in the process of ordering parts for my new PC based on a 2.4C CPU. I'm planning to use the standard HS but hope to fit my SFII onto it. I haven't seen a P4 HS before so I don't know it a 70mm>80mm adaptor will screw on. naturally, I don't want to order an adaptor if it's not going to fit. what's the best way to fit an 80m fan onto the standard HSF?

perhaps a Spark P4 might be a better solution.

what do poeople think?

If you are going to overclock I would scrap the stock heatsink and get a nice Swiftech or something of the sorts. But as for being able to fit a a bigger fan you may be able to do it but do you have enough clearance in the case for such a large adapter?

Thank You,
Daniel

If you can afford the money for the Swiftech MCX4000, I'd agree with Daniel that this is your best choice for a P4 HSF when paired with a good fan, like the 58CFM 92mm Panaflo.

If your budget can't cover $50-60, I think your best choice is the Cooler Master ICH-H71. This is a great HSF combo that you can pick up for under $30.

Fitting another fan to the OEM Intel heatsink might slightly improve the processor cooling. But the real problem with the stock heatsink for overclocking is the aluminum material it is made from.

BHD

From what i remember of the intel stock heatsink, i only saw it once, but the fan housing was integral to the retention clips which grab on to the heatsink retension mechanism, and couldent be removed, it might have been glued on but i still dont think its movable

well... you could probably gut the old fan from the plastic top piece of the hs. Then glue (or somehow secure) the fan adapter into the empty space there. it'll look kinda ghetto depending on how good/bad you are at the modding of that.

just in case you don't wanna throw down more money on a hs.

Back