• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rescue 911, system dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SinsFeelNatural

Hey all, my sig system died last night after changing the HSF. I am unsure what is dead, the mobo or the cpu.

I changed the hsf, screwdiver did not slip.

I went to power the system on. I sounds like it boots but no speaker sound, and no video.

Reset cmos.

took everything out except for the video card, and ram

tried putting stock hsf back on, placing older xp 1500 in, same problems.

Used one stick of ram at a time,

this sucks,

any ideas>?

Have you tried removing and reinserting your video card?

Are you sure that the new heatsink is making proper contact with the CPU?

repo man11 said:
Have you tried removing and reinserting your video card?

Are you sure that the new heatsink is making proper contact with the CPU?

tried starting without the video card, removed and reset.

I even took of the new heatsink and replaced it with the stock

Do the CPU's look ok? No bad smell or scorch mark?
Did you go back to the old heatsink when you put the 1500 back in, or did you try it (the 1500) with the new HSF first? How did the impression in the thermal grease look when you pulled the new HSF off?

At this point when you power up, you have fans running, but no display? Can you hear any drive activity?

repo man11 said:
Do the CPU's look ok? No bad smell or scorch mark?
Did you go back to the old heatsink when you put the 1500 back in, or did you try it (the 1500) with the new HSF first? How did the impression in the thermal grease look when you pulled the new HSF off?

At this point when you power up, you have fans running, but no display? Can you hear any drive activity?

no burn marks on the cpu(s) used the old HSF on the 1500+.

all fans come on, drives spin but it doesnt make the (beep) for a complete boot.

Since all else has failed so far, I think I'd try taking the mobo out of the case and giving everything the once over (taking static precautions, of course).

But first, I'd give clearing CMOS one more try. Be sure and turn the PSU off, unplug it if it doesn't have a rocker switch, short the jumper, and hold down the power switch for a second. Maybe even take the battery out as well.

If none of these things help, it doesn't look too good for your motherboard, since it hasn't worked with either CPU.

repo man11 said:
Since all else has failed so far, I think I'd try taking the mobo out of the case and giving everything the once over (taking static precautions, of course).

But first, I'd give clearing CMOS one more try. Be sure and turn the PSU off, unplug it if it doesn't have a rocker switch, short the jumper, and hold down the power switch for a second. Maybe even take the battery out as well.

If none of these things help, it doesn't look too good for your motherboard, since it hasn't worked with either CPU.

yup I think the mobos done for, what sucks is it is 4 months old bought from frys,

Anyone work @ frys and can give me tips on returning it?

I have all the accessories and the box is in a clean condition

Hey look at the bright side now you have good reason to upgrade to a new nForce2 motherboard I give the NF7-S a thumbs up :thup: .

Back